Has this boat sailed?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Narmer, Sep 26, 2021.

1. Narmer

Narmer New Member

Hello

The velux window installed in our loft conversion is (in our opinion) fitted in the ‘wrong’ place. It is offset to the left rather than more in the middle of the ceiling.

Therefore, I want it moved and re-installed in the center of the roof slope

I gather some rafters needed cutting out to instal the velux window where it currently is placed.

(1) Can removing and re-installing the velux window to the center be done now that some rafters are gone?

(2) Have, I underestimated the extent of re-working needed?

(3) Would I lose height in the loft if a re-installation job to move it to the center is done?

Attached Files:

2. woodbutcherbower

woodbutcherbower Screwfix Select

How did it end up where you didn't want it? Surely some plans were drawn up? It looks offset to the right, not to the left?

You're looking at major disruption and cost. A substantial section of the roof will have to come off, and a fair chunk of the timberwork will have to be re-done, since there will be no rafters where the hole used to be. You also need double trimmers round the Velux aperture. The whole section of plasterboarding will also have to come off and be re-done - maybe not a bad thing because it looks as rough AF. Here's roughly what the basic timberwork looks like (or it should) - this will give you some idea of the re-working needed;

Roof-window-rafters-purlin.jpg

Personally? I'd live with it.

What's with all the Post-It notes?

Last edited: Sep 26, 2021
    Jord86 likes this.
  3. Narmer

Narmer New Member

Thanks

There was a plan. It showed the velux in the middle.

Then the window was put in and I was given an explanation about rafters limiting where it could be put!

And you’re correct it’s offset to the right! I never liked the plaster-boarding too but given this is my first (and definitely last!) loft conversion, I didn’t know any better.

PS. The post it notes are for the lighting plan.

4. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Live with it i would say. Unless you have money to burn...

5. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

1. Yes but large amount of disruption, cost, work redone and new materials required.
    2. Yes.
    3. No it won't make a difference to the height, but perhaps the layout or 'feng shui' of the room will be affected.
    4. Whilst it looks a touch patchwork, once a skim is put over the top, the plasterboarding is fine.

6. Narmer

Narmer New Member

Thanks. Yes you’re probably right but it’s just that niggling feeling always (to come) that I fear…

7. Narmer

Narmer New Member

Thanks, much appreciated. So the cost far outweighs the benefits, I suppose?

8. woodbutcherbower

woodbutcherbower Screwfix Select

I would say so. It must be disappointing for you to end up with something which isn't exactly as you'd like it (for whatever reason) - but it's also one of those situations which probably won't make much difference to the overall conversion once everywhere's plastered, painted, furnished and nice. I've done plenty of work in the past for customers who obsess over fractions of a millimetre during the actual build - simply because they're totally focused on the here and now. I think once it's all done and finished, it won't seem as big a deal as you're obviously feeling now. It's all about the big picture. A good piece of advice given to me many years ago was - "If you can't change a situation, the best alternative is to change your attitude towards it." All the best.