Have I been given an out of date tin of wood filler

Discussion in 'Screwfix' started by lemonade, Jan 13, 2019.

1. lemonade

lemonade Member

I bought a tin of ronseal wood filler back in march last year and on the bottom of the tin it says 18/12/D. I opened the tin today and the consistency is like chewing gum and by the time I mixed it up it started going off.

2. Astramax

Astramax Well-Known Member

Is it the Ronseal 2 part epoxy wood filler, if so it can't go off until the hardener has been mixed in. So could be just out of date (Dec 18).

3. goldenboy

goldenboy Well-Known Member

How much of it did you mix up?

I watched a bloke try to mix a whole tin up in one go.

Didn't go well.

Fillers do go off when air gets to them.

I use quite a bit of 2 pack and once they have been opened you get about a year or so before it deteriorates.

Did you open it up when you bought it? Or did you use a bit?

4. lemonade

lemonade Member

Yes it's ronseal 2 part epoxy wood filler. Either I had a blond moment or the fumes got to my head as I was thinking the date was 18/2012.

5. lemonade

lemonade Member

I mixed up just under a golf ball size and it went off in under 5 minutes so I mixed up maybe a teaspoon size and that went off within 5 minutes. I haven't used any out of the tin in the past but I cannot remember if I opened the tin when I bought it. I watched a ronseal video and when they mixed the filler up you could see the filler going off while he was mixing it. If I was to buy new filler what brand would you recommend.

6. Peter208

Peter208 Active Member

Just on the subject of wood filler, I got a small pot of Ronseal yesterday . It says LIGHT as a colour indicator . No way is it Light, it's quite terracotta / reddish brown. I expect better then that from Ronseal, and now hope it does what it say on the pot.

7. goldenboy

goldenboy Well-Known Member

Thats normal. You need to work fast with two pack.

Quick mix, quick application.

Ronseal one is pretty good in my experience.

8. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Well-Known Member

The Ronseal 2 part filler is a great product but does suffer from prolonged storage which does speed up its workable time. Also replace lid ASAP after using, contact with the air will shorten its life

If your getting around 5 minutes usable time, then that’s not so bad as even with a new fresh tin, you only get maybe 10 mins until it starts to stiffen and then sets rapidly

As with all of these 2 part fillers, only mix up small quantities at a time and work fast with the filler, have work area ready to fill before mixing up and start and finish filling without stopping

Never use a scrapper or tool with old filler on it and put back into tin, you will shorten its usable time, same as mixing, don’t mix fresh batch on surface that you’ve just mixed previous batch, you will greatly shorten usable time

Clean scrappers and tools between each mix, try and remove excess filler before setting rock hard. Any fully hardened filler can be sanded off of tools then give a rinse, ready for next batch to mix

I find the Ronseal is fairly easy to sand compared to some other brands and performs very well, as long as you don’t contaminate each mix with old filler and work fast

As diy’ers, we’re not using this stuff day in and out so towards the end of the tin, if it’s been stuck in garage/shed for months, expect reduced performance

9. Astramax

Astramax Well-Known Member

Prefer Decor-Fil myself, even did my car body panels with it. ;)