Have I covered myself,

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Northwest gas svc's, Jan 3, 2008.

1. Northwest gas svc's

Northwest gas svc's New Member

Was asked by local building firm if my company would check 2 boiler installations and register the guarantee's (not sign off for building control), there excuse was their regular corgi was indisposed.
    Anyway at quoted price of £100 each ,thought its easy money !!!
    First job the flue position was NTCS, no room stat,no bonding
    Second job had a gas leak on the hob(sorted now) but also had no bonding,no room stat and condensate run was a mess.
    What would you do ???
    I just listed all that was wrong on my job report/invoice,left them NTCS knowtices and billed them and sent the guarantee forms off with THEIR name on.
    Should I report them to corgi ??

2. tomplum

tomplum Active Member

not sure if you can, they don't like this 'signing off' buisness and won't thank you for it, also if its not dangerous , they wont get involved,
    don't be a drama queen take the dosh and ask for more 'easy money'jobs,,,,I DO

3. --------- plumbing

--------- plumbing New Member

it's when they start nicking your customers i would worry and under cutting you :)

4. arfurrrr

arfurrrr New Member

you are a complete mug .

£100 quid they saw you coming . if you report it to corgi , corgi will have you over and not them .

if your gonna sign other peoples work off you want atleast £600 cash per appliance upfront . If if still dont comply no paper work issued .

Personally i don`t do it .

you must be a new entrant to be doing things like this .

Have you heard of ARGI , they have an online forum and could offer advice on this and other matters in future.

Arf

5. Northwest gas svc's

Im not a newby,cc or a ccc as Dick would put it,26 yrs and time served etc etc.
    I think £100 is pretty good for about an hours work.
    (600,?? your bein a bit daft)
    As to them nicking my customers,they are providing me with work, all their customers have asked for my card and want me to service their boilers in 12 mnths.

6. chris73

chris73 New Member

Are these new installations ??

As far as I`m aware you cannot leave a new install with NTCS , and no matter who`s name is down , your the last enginner there .
    I think you`ve done a boo boo ,
    I would not have done it either .

7. arfurrrr

arfurrrr New Member

Was asked by local building firm if my company would
    check 2 boiler installations and register the
    guarantee's (not sign off for building control),
    there excuse was their regular corgi was indisposed. ALARMS BELLS RINGING !
    Anyway at quoted price of £100 each ,thought its easy
    money !!! ALARM BELLS RINGING !
    First job the flue position was NTCS ALARM BELLS RINGING ! no room stat ALARM BELLS RINGING ! ,no
    bonding ALARM BELLS RINGING !
    Second job had a gas leak on the hob(sorted now)ALARM BELLS RINGING ! but
    also had no bonding ALARM BELLS RINGIG ,no room stat ALARM BELLS RINGING and condensate run
    was a mess.ALARM BELLS RINGING
    What would you do ??? - NOT TELL ANYONE
    I just listed all that was wrong on my job
    report/invoice,left them NTCS knowtices and billed
    them and sent the guarantee forms off with THEIR name
    on.
    Should I report them to corgi ?? NO , REPORT YOURSELF :)

8. ben1974

ben1974 Member

Hia m8,been trying to contact you regarding some gas training.I saw your old post saying you charged £120 a week for an aprentice to gain some experience.Do you have any room for one at the moment,or the near future?
    where are you based? im in durham,but will travel anywhere.
    many thanks
    ben

9. Fanny mcSquirter

Fanny mcSquirter New Member

Hi Ben1974,

seen a few of your posts pleading for training. Sorry to hear that you're still searching and that the North West Gas OP has not proved fruitful - although from reading this post maybe it should be him paying someone to train him lol.

Best of luck in your search.

10. The OP seems VERY nieve if he believed the installer was "indesposed".

The obvious thing to do is to ask who he is and check to see if he really did fit them!

Obviously to everyone else this was a Polish or other unregistered fitter!

Why is he not a member of ARGI who seek to represent and educate RGIs?

He needs educating on protecting safe gas work practices which does not include signing off non reg work!

Tony

11. ben1974

ben1974 Member

thanks Fanny mcSquirter,im still looking.but have an interview with bg as a plumber,so if im very lucky might get gas training some day with bg?
    ben

12. Northwest gas svc's

Tony, Im not nieve at all, there was no corgi fitter , the building company are fitting the boilers them selves, and as I asked earlier, do you think I should report them to corgi ?
    As to the other points, I havent done anything wrong, I havent signed anything off, just gave them a job report of eveything that is wrong and needed to put it right.
    As to the questions regarding training, got 2 full time apprentices on the books being trained by us and 1 mature student who's nearly done his port folio,so will have a vacancy in may,but probably got someone lined up.
    As the name suggest's were in the north west !, Manchester

13. alpineskier

alpineskier New Member

Re:Northwest

The word at the root of all all your questions is "naive" ( any pedants please forgive the lack of diaeresis a I don't know how to do one)

That apart would someone enlighten me as to what OP means exactly ? Thank you .

14. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

Original Post/er

15. Dick Puller

Dick Puller New Member

OP, you would be mad signing off these installations for £100 each. In fact, anyone that signs off other peoples work is completely bonkers!!?????!!!

16. Northwest gas svc's

Ahhh,wondered when you'd put your two pennies worth in,
    I partly agree with you Dick,If I was to "sign off" someone elses work I'd have to know them very well.
    These clowns didnt actually want me to sign the work off for building control even though they'd actually built extentions.They just wanted the manufacturers warranty cards sending in??? think they thought they might get caught out if they send them themselves.
    The 1st job was hilarious cause they coudnt even get the heating on cause they couldnt set the clock.They were cringing as i was explaining to the customer the things that needed doing to make it comply with current regs.

17. heatyman

heatyman Well-Known Member

In reply to your original question, I think generally you have covered yourself; with the brown smelly stuff.
    If the installation does not comply, shouldn't you have turned the whole thing off and issued the appropiate notice to the dog?
    Last man there and all that!!!
    Martin

18. Northwest gas svc's

Since when do you turn boilers off for being NTCS( THATS NOT TO CURRENT STANDARDS) for those reading this that dont know what theyre talking about.
    And correct me if Im wrong but just because a new boiler instalation doesnt comply with the part L of the current building regs, for example not having a room stat fitted, that isnt recordable as a NTCS under the gas safety regs.

19. ally1957

ally1957 New Member

Since when do you turn boilers off for being NTCS(
    THATS NOT TO CURRENT STANDARDS) for those reading
    this that dont know what theyre talking about.

You must've been up all night thinking that one up

20. heatyman

heatyman Well-Known Member

Your original post details a situation that is certainly more than NTCS. If you have an incorrect flue position, and no cross bonding, then surely that is reason for turning off? You found a gas leak, O.K. you fixed it, but with such a display of slipshod work, taking the money and running is, in my opinion, totally irresponsible.
    Martin