Have I missed the boat?

Discussion in 'Getting Started FAQ' started by Newbie123, Feb 7, 2020.

1. Newbie123

Newbie123 New Member

Hi

I am currently working a senior analyst for a large fuel provider but likely I will be made redundant by the end of the year due to a new company buying us. I am 33 years old and live in Newcastle, north east of England. My CV is heavily office based and can do basic DIY in the house (put up curtain pole, build furniture etc). I am just after some advice and wondering is it too late to get into a trade? Where would I start? (seems a bit pointless paying £1000s for a course learning the basics and getting no experience). I have searched high and low and cant find any labourer/mate jobs around my area to shadow/gain experience. Any help/advice will be greatly received

2. Timtim11

Timtim11 New Member

I was a hydraulic and pneumatic fitter for 15 years, and a driving instructor for 4. I went self employed and started doing odd jobs, tiling etc when I was 32. Best thing ever. I now do most things, and apparently very good at it! A lot of consult the internet moments, but I’m loving it.

Newbie123 likes this.
  3. Newbie123

Newbie123 New Member

Thanks for your response Tim. I think that's my aim to eventually become more of a multi skilled tradesman/handyman but for now would be happy being very talented/skilled in 1 area. Did you have any experience in tiling or do any courses? I am open to doing anything just to get myself on the ladder, from your own experience which trade was/Is the easiest to pick up?

4. masterdiy

masterdiy Screwfix Select

If you want to start on the Ladder, how about a Window Cleaner.

I'll get me coat.:eek:

Newbie123, longboat and Heat like this.
  5. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

What area of income are you hoping for as I guess a senior analyst eats every day of the week! :cool:

6. Abrickie

Abrickie Screwfix Select

Firstly don’t say tradesman/handyman it’s beyond insulting would you say first aider/surgeon. Rant over
    I understand that there are many people offering flat pack assembly services, you could start there maybe stalking newly built site and estate agents windows for customers