Have we created an impossible situation ?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by dubster, May 16, 2022.

1. dubster

dubster Member

Ok, I'll say up front I'm fully expecting a load of abuse for the design decisions here sadly.
    Clearly we have no plumbers knowledge either, hence being here in a crappy situation.

We bought a custom made shower set up made from copper piping from a guy on etsy.

Fitted it in the new shower enclosure.

Turn on the shower annnnnnd the water just comes out the pressure relief valve.

Learning lesson - an electric shower wont just shoot water out whatever you connect to it - yup, told you we knew nothing about plumbing. Sadly, it would seem the guy who fitted it all for us wasnt able to look at it up front and say "that aint gonna work" either.

If we now connect back up just the original shower flex and head, water still comes out the pressure relief valve, so I'm guessing we've screwed the shower unit.

Questions then (any help appreciated)

1) Is what we're trying to do impossible, and we can only achieve it with a combi boiler fed shower?
    2) If the answer above is no, is it possible with a new/better electric shower we can put in place?
    3) Is it likely this kind of setup has screwed up the existing shower unit ?

Any other help gratefully received.

Thanks

[​IMG]

2. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

where is the water coming from again?

3. dubster

dubster Member

Mains cold water feed to the Triton shower unit you can see there, from there to the copper pipe bit.

4. dray

dray Screwfix Select

Where is the 'pressure reducing valve'? do you mean the mixer to the right. I'm not a plumber but surely the feeds should have gone through the mixer before going onto the various heads?

5. dubster

dubster Member

Sorry I don't really follow.
    The mains water goes to the black shower unit, and from there into the copper pipes to the copper pipe shower head.

We've not changed anything about the water going to the black shower unit, just that the shower unit now goes into the copper piping rather than just a hand held shower head.

The pressure relief valve is in the black shower unit. It lets water out from behind where the flex is connected to it.

6. dray

dray Screwfix Select

So where do the two rising pipes go/come from, I assumed they were the hot or cold coming in to the system?

BiancoTheGiraffe likes this.
  7. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

If you mean what I think you mean...there are two "taps" on the shower unit, one of these must be open in order for the water to come out of one of the shower heads.

There is an isolator vale, in the closed position, I assume this is to stop the water going into the two pipes below which I assume are just supporting.

Do you have one of the "taps" open?

dubster likes this.
  8. dubster

dubster Member

Thanks, yes the tap to only the rainfall head OR the handheld head is open at any one time.

The 2 copper pipes coming from the wall are just decorative.
    The isolation valve going to them is turned off to stop water go down to them because they're just there to hold the thing to the wall

dray likes this.
  9. h'andy

h'andy Member

the PRD is easily replaced - its usually a small thin rubber disc and no water will come out of the shower head pipework whilst this is broken.
    https://www.tritonshowers.co.uk/spa...Y2yMDKJbh8c3k2HMn3RoCEDwQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

BUT if both your taps are off when you turn the electric shower on, it will fail immediately. You really need a shower head suitable for an electric shower - one that does not provide any resistance to the water flow (learnt this the hard way too!) - the rain fall ones don't work but the copper pipe one you have should as long as it will cope with the water flow.

Resmond, Cliff Rees and dubster like this.
  10. dubster

dubster Member

Ah ok thanks, so we probably burst that disc when we first turned it on.
    We definitely had the rainfall head tap open but if it causes too much resistance I guess that would have burst the disc.

If there are no electric showers on the market that will handle the rainfall head then we're **** out of luck!

11. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

Drill more holes or enlarge existing, if that is the problem.

dubster likes this.
  12. dubster

dubster Member

Oh! Good call, that's a great idea thank you.

13. dubster

dubster Member

Just wanted to say an extra thank you - I've taken it apart and the PRD is blown (it's the older style one with the ball in it, rather than the cap, and there is no ball) - so I can at least order a couple more and try again after trying to reduce resistance, something I wouldnt have thought of, so thanks again for the advice, very grateful.

14. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

Just had a look and for some units there is a modification to the "bursting disk" that involves just replacing the disk with an o ring and rubber ball. The rubber ball squeezes past the o ring on over pressure.

A bit of trial and error would mean you do not have to keep buying new disks, just make sure the ball doesn't vanish down the plug hole. You are also bound to accidentally in future leave both taps closed so over pressurising.

*edit just seen your post above!

Last edited: May 16, 2022
  15. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Triton-Pressure-Relief-Device-82800450/dp/B00R9YW5SU

dubster likes this.
  16. dubster

dubster Member

Muzungu likes this.
  17. Tilt

Tilt Screwfix Select

I reckon a two way valve would look lovely on there ...... maybe, Lol.

Cliff Rees likes this.
  18. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

I’m afraid electric showers don’t produce anywhere near the amount of hot water that you need for that head.you will also void the warranty you may have had on the shower as it is not installed to makers instructions.

Cliff Rees likes this.
  19. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Sorry but it looks hideous

stevie22, MRY and Cliff Rees like this.
  20. AnotherTopJob

AnotherTopJob Screwfix Select

As mentioned, an electric shower won't produce enough pressure, at least for the rainfall head.
    A power shower would probably be more suitable.