Heat reflective tape for hob cut-out

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by George III, Feb 9, 2024.

1. George III

George III New Member

Hi,
    I've just had a new laminate worktop and ceramic hob fitted in my kitchen.
    The fitter omitted to fit any heat reflective tape around the cut-out for the hob.
    I don't want to make a fuss over nothing so, before I start ranting for this to be put right, I wanted to understand from those in the know if this is a big deal.
    Thanks in advance.

2. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

I've not had to use it before but in fairness I'm usually followed by a spark or gas fitter that fits the hob into the cutout I've made. What do the installation instructions say? You should be able to find those online.

The norm is to seal the cut edges with silicone or other waterproofing agent if it's in accordance with the manufacturers' instructions.

Otherwise the worktop instructions will give guidance.

Edit: I always fit foil tape under the worktop above the dishwasher - assuming it's a wooden based one of course

3. Mark DM

Mark DM Screwfix Select

I also would use a silicone sealant. There are however fireproof silicone sealants which will also give waterproof protection to the cut edges if fireproof is specified .

Attached Files:

WillyEckerslike likes this.