Heat resistant cable for LV transformer

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by martin chubb, Feb 12, 2004.

1. martin chubb

martin chubb New Member

HI,

I'm in the process of upgrading my bathroom lights to those Sfx IP44 fixed downlights. Do I need heat resistant cable to conect from the existing junction box to each transformer. (I'm using one transf. per light). I am putting in 2 x 50W 12v lights in place of one light. (A total of 4 lights in the ceiling).

thanks in advance.

2. sterose

sterose New Member

I dont see why you need heat-resistant cable, or indeed why you thought you needed it.

Second, why are you using one transformer per light? This is very energy-inefficient and frankly, pointless.

3. The Trician

The Trician New Member

Its a good idea to fit heat resisting cable from the transformer to the light fitting. Don't forget, you'll need to fit a firecap to each of your fittings to comply with fire/building regs. This means that the cable will run through the fire hood to the connection box on the top of the fittng and these things run HOT.

No need to use heat resisting cable from the J/B to the mains side of the transformer though.

4. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds New Member

..why are you using one transformer per light? This is very energy-inefficient and frankly, pointless.

Au contraire, mon brave, it's the best way to do it.