Heating noise

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by adsphs, Jan 16, 2021.

1. adsphs

adsphs New Member

Hi

Hope someone can help.

For last 3/4 months I have started having a ticking/clicking noise coming from somewhere in the central heating system.

It doesnt happen when the hot water is on. It does happen when the heating is on.

It seems when the thermostat kicks in then 10/20 seconds later I get ticking/clicking. It starts slow then speeds up, then slows down again (over about a minute) - 10 or so minutes later thermostat kicks in, the same again. The noise is definetly clicks/ticks - the only way i can describe it is if you were to spin the wheel of fortune (like the old tv show) but it lasts about 30-60 secs.

Ive read a lot of forum comments and im pretty sure its not expansion of pipes as it continues while the heating is on and everything is fully heated up.

Ive had the system drained, the loft tank cleaned of gunk and radiators aired.

Every morning when the timer turns on, its exactly the same every time. Its very frustrating.

Hoping someone can help?

Many thanks.

2. kiaora

kiaora Guest

hi
    the odd are it is expansion , rads on brackets, pipes in clips. clips too close together on a bend.
    floorboads, notch on floor joist, ...... ...... etc..

good luck
    peter

3. adsphs

adsphs New Member

Hi Peter
    Thank you for your reply. The only thing is, that the noise is very regimented, as in its very exact, not random in its clicking. Im no expert at all, but would of thought expansion would be slighty more a bit over the place. When it happens its the same every time. Starts in the morning and continues all day (since being in lockdown ans being at home ive noticed more obviously).
    I really dont think its pipes expanding as it surely that wouldnt happen when heating has been on all day? As ive said it is very precise each time?
    Kind regards

4. quasar9

quasar9 Screwfix Select

Expansion clicks are pretty regular, as are contraction clicks when demand for heat stops but usually softer. I can tell roughly what time it is in the morning as hot water cylinder kicks in half an hour after the heating switches from night temperature to day

5. sparko69

sparko69 Screwfix Select

Sounds like your 3 port valve motor and spring,maybe its not seated properly?

6. Baxi Boy

Baxi Boy Active Member

I get tapping,and other noises from below floor boards immediately the pump starts,so not expansion,and continues doing heating on,and even after boiler and pump stops the noises continue 2-3 hours by which time any contraction would have stopped.I have suspected air in system,or bad pipe clips etc.It’s a Baxi combi,feeding 7 rads,totalling 6.5 kw.

7. kiaora

kiaora Guest

Hi
    Another cause, can be, a bit of solder at the bottom of a vertical pipe, and the pump tries to keep it off the bottom !
    Bit of a long shot,

8. Mark Griffiths

Mark Griffiths Active Member

My system does the same. It’s in a section of pipe work that I know is a tight fit in the joists. Definitely expansion clicks. It only started a few months ago, a year after replacing the floor.

9. adsphs

adsphs New Member

This is what im hearing. Hopefully these videos will upload. You have to turn the volume up, but you'll understand what i mean. It happens at about 18 seconds on Vid 1 and about 28 seconds in Vid 2.

Hoping someone can explain what it is?

10. adsphs

adsphs New Member

For some reason the sound is really low on these links so you might need to turn fully up. Trust me its louder in the original videos.

11. fred812

fred812 Screwfix Select

Find an App that allows you record the sound and save it as an mp3 file and upload that.

12. Mark Griffiths

Mark Griffiths Active Member

Sounds like mine. I put it down to pipes rubbing on joist / floorboards during heat expansion.

If you’re able to secure the pipes it should help.