Heating on all night 2

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by The Dormouse, Jan 15, 2009.

1. G Brown.

G Brown. New Member

"disingenuous"-Stephen Fry syndrome

2. Dick Puller

Dick Puller New Member

DA, I think that's the first time I've agreed with a bleeding heart liberal like you!!

These 'meter watchers' are just that, no accounting for solar gain etc..........

If your boiler is on you are spending money!!!
    Oil boilers for example cost a fortune to run if they cycle all day & night.

3. G Brown.

G Brown. New Member

A little word in your ear would be nice sometime DA.

4. The Dormouse

The Dormouse New Member

We'll have to agree to disagree otherwise this will go on forever with you continually finding more & more things to object to.

A properly engineered computer model with no extraneous variations might settle the matter but you'd probably object again if the result was 'wrong' in your eyes.

I'm really sorry to come up against you in this matter. We both know we're right & that's the end of it. A pity that the questioner hasn't given his verdict.

5. HOTDOG ø

HOTDOG ø Active Member

..and the earth is flat, the moon landings were faked and Elvis is alive and well in Clacton......

6. ponty01.

ponty01. New Member

sorry da i did not mean to be rude to you last night. sometimes i kick off for no reason

7. devil's advocate

devil's advocate New Member

T'Dormouse, now that really IS disingenuous of you.

If you were to come on here with proper evidence that you were using less - or even the same amount - of gas running your system 24 hours per day with all other factors taken care of, then I WOULD humbly accept it, apologise for my doubt and be truly chuffed to be given such fantastic news.

I really don't think that can happen as science would first have to be re-written.

You appear to be blindly standing up for your - as yet - unproven theory.

And, no, it isn't up to me to prove you are wrong - it's up to you to prove you are right.

8. HOTDOG ø

HOTDOG ø Active Member

His brain is hibernating.....

9. OllyUK

OllyUK Member

I thought I would put my little bit in. Our house is a farily well insulated house (Well except from no cavity wall insulation and wooden floor boards). When I moved in first thing I did was install TRVs to all rads and a heatherm programable room stat.

We were continually running out of HW and it was usually so cold in the mornings. We now have the room stat set at 17oC for the following times 7am-8am and then 5pm-9.30pm. All other times it is set at 15oC and during the night only ever comes on once/twice. Our spend on gas is £70 a month (For a family of 4 + a lodger) which has stayed the same as when we had it completly off. With this situation I can see that:
    a) The house is more comfortable temperature and takes only a short time in the morning to warm up
    b) We never run out of HW as this is on continuous
    c) Our bills have not increased even with the increase of the cost of gas.

I dont have figures of gas usage so wont say def yes or no but I know it has not cost us anymore, I know its not quite the same as leaving heating on full during the night but I think a good compromise.

Just my little bit!!

10. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

ME is right.

As has been said many times it's all about thermal loss and the recovery times of the building.

ie: A draughty old pile with poor insulation may well be as cheap to heat 24/7 as on timed.

BUT a modern, well insulated home built with thermal blocks, insulated walls, floors and ceilings etc etc will certainly NOT need heating 24/7.

11. The Dormouse

The Dormouse New Member

There you go again Captain, no one but you keeps on about <u>needing</u> heating 24/7.

The issue is <u>not</u> whether heating is <u>needed</u> 24/7 but whether or not under thermostatic control it uses more energy than setting a timed off period.

Also, you repeat the case of a modern well insulated home which is quite obvious & totally irrelevant. Such properties still form a minority of UK housing stock. Most homes fall into the wide category between these & your 'draughtly old piles'.