Heating puzzle

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Tommc, Jun 18, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Tommc

Tommc New Member

We recently moved into a new house with 2 separate zones for the central heating. 1 zone comprises all the bedrooms and bathrooms in the house with the thermostat for the zone in the master bedroom. Our bathrooms have heated towel rails which are part of the same zone and which we’d like to be on more or less all the time. All of the radiators have TRVs on so we can balance the temperature in the different rooms (including the bathrooms where we have the towel rails set on full) except the radiator in the master bedroom which appears to have a lock shield valve at both ends (or at least, valves with a bar sticking out under a plastic cap rather than valves with numbers on).
    At the moment we either have the thermostat turned up so the heating kicks in and the towel rails are on but then the bedroom gets too hot and we open a window which is a waste of energy. Alternatively, we set the thermostat sensibly, the bedroom is an acceptable temperature but the towel rails aren’t on. So it’s a bit of a puzzle to know what best to do. All I can think of is to restrict the flow on the radiator in the main bedroom by playing with the valves to stop it getting so hot when we crank the thermostat up but I don’t know if this is a good idea as I’ve read it’s usual to have one of the radiators permanently on with TRVs unless the boiler has a flow meter (it doesn’t as far as I’m aware).
    Maybe it would make more sense to swap a TRV off a towel rail with one of the lock shield valves on the bedroom radiator but then there’s a TRV in the room with the thermostat which is meant to be a bad idea too.
    Any ideas/suggestions welcome!

2. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

Simple enough to sort as a temporary measure for the warm weather.
    Just turn one of the lockshield valves on the radiator in master bedroom fully off (do check how many turns it takes, as rad might be balanced by that same valve and it can be turned back on same amount of turns for winter again).
    Then turn wall stat in bedroom fully up, or at least fairly high.
    Remove the thermostat heads off the towel rails.
    If it is an S plan system there should be a bypass valve already fitted and it will allow flow when circuits close, although your towel rails will provide flow with the TRV heads removed anyhow.
    A heating engineer could confirm and advice you while they are servicing your boiler or other jobs perhaps

Tommc likes this.
  3. candoabitofmoststuff

candoabitofmoststuff Screwfix Select

If I've understood the issue correctly,it's a pretty simple solution...

Just remove the TRV heads from the towel rails. By doing this the towel rails will be "on" all the time, and become, de-facto, the "bypass", (if you don't already have one, but you probably do), so all the other thermostatic valves may be turned to their "off" positions.

You don't have to actually take the TRV from the towel rads, just unscrew the heads.

I'm DIY, but pretty sure that's correct! Open to correction by experts of course!

Regards,
    Cando

4. candoabitofmoststuff

candoabitofmoststuff Screwfix Select

Just realised the previous post said basically the same as me!
    Doh!
    Cando