Heating thermostat replacement advice needed

Discussion in 'Getting Started FAQ' started by jko, Dec 29, 2018.

1. jko

jko New Member

Apologies if this is the wrong section, but it seemed too general to fit into a specific forum section.

My central heating has individual radiator thermostats as well as a 'master' thermostat positioned in the hallway of the house (a large bungalow). The master thermostat went faulty recently and I've bypassed it for the moment.
    My question is, is there any benefit to be had fitting a 'smart' thermostat?
    To be honest, I'm not sure why it's set up the way it is - it's how things were when we moved in. It seems to me that the master thermostat is largely redundant, assuming the individual radiator thermostats are set up properly.
    So the 2nd question is really, is it worth fitting a master thermostat at all?
    Thanks.

2. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

Yes. Fitting the master thermostat is a good idea.
    The master thermostat stops the heating coming on if the house is already warm.

Also if the heatings on the stat will regulate the temperature somewhat. Once upto temp the boiler shuts off electrically. With trv’s the boiler will continue to cycle and waste gas and leccy

jko likes this.
  3. jko

jko New Member

Thank you. That's helpful.
    Off to research whether it's worth going for a 'smart' replacement.