Heatrae Sadre Megaflo - Servicing needs

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Martin_NW, Jan 18, 2023.

Tags:
  1. Martin_NW

Martin_NW New Member

I've had this cyclinder installed in my new build since 2007 but it was only ever serviced once in 2008. I have recharged it every now and then (not annually) but never see any water in the tundish.

So a neighour with the same property and setup has developed a build up of the white stuff and confirmed by a Baxi engineer his plastic air separator is disintegrating and he needs a new cylinder and unlikely to be under warrnty (he never had it serviced either). There is no sign of my air separator disintegrating so maybe he is unlucky or I have got lucky (for now).

This has got me thinking that I should start getting my 16 year old Megaflo serviced but at £160/year I am wondering whether it is worth it after 15 years without a service.

Thoughts please. Worth paying £160/year for a service or should I recharge the cylinder annually myself and put the money saved towards when the replacement of the cylinder is needed?

2. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

Who quoted £160.
    That’s ridiculous for a cylinder service.
    You could get the boiler and cylinder serviced for that cost if done at the same time.

Vin likes this.
  3. Martin_NW

Martin_NW New Member

That was direct from Heatrae Sadre at £169 : https://www.heatraesadia.com/customer-support/cylinder-service-and-repair Even from independent plumbers I can see online they are not much cheaper; maybe this is because you need a G3 unvented qualification to install (and I assume service) these. This is probably why I have never had it serviced as twice the price of my annual boiler service which I always get every year.

4. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

G3 is a simple qualification.
    Servicing a cylinder is straightforward.
    It’s a simple job especially when already on site with tools and a pump if servicing the boiler.
    Try and independent and ask what it’s cost for a boiler and cylinder service in one visit.