heavy bespoke open cabinet, hanging to wall?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Ticklethetoe, Nov 10, 2019.

1. Ticklethetoe

Ticklethetoe New Member

hi
    looking for any advice/tips or suggestions
    I've got to build a a large open cabinet out of solid wood worktop in a kitchen.
    it's basically going to be a 300 high by 3 m wide, open wall unit constructed out of a 40 mm worktop.
    the units going to run underneath a run of 5 hob wall units
    the hob wall units will be hung in the normal way and it's the method of hanging the bespoke open cabinet underneath?
    goes without saying there's going to be a fair bit of weight just in the unit itself,
    the weight of a 3 mtr X 900 breakfast bar piece of solid oak, as that's what I'll be using to build it.
    at this point I'm thinking of either running a full length cleat along the back of the unit out of ply or trying to source some heavy weight z hangers/cleats?
    it's going on a solid brick wall so should get some good fixings, but chances are it's not going to be perfectly flat over the for 3mtr length
    just wondering if anyone else had any ideas?
    ideally I want it to be a hidden fixing...
    I'd like to just use about 6 M10 Rawl bolts along the whole length but that ain't gonna look too good in the back of the unit..
    thanks in advance

2. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Keyhole slot fixings in the back of the unit, table stretcher plates fixed underneath the unit, sunk into the wall and filled over, and/or counterbored frame fixings drilled through the back of the unit and filled with matching or contrasting pellets. With the cabinet full of cack you probably wouldn’t see the fixing holes anyway.