Heavy glass screen onto shower tray

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Simon M, Jan 17, 2020.

1. Simon M

Simon M New Member

Hello All,
    I have bought a Mira Flight shower tray 1700mm X 900mm and also I have a 2000mm X 1600mm X 8mm thick glass screen. After taking delivery i starting worrying that sitting a heavy piece of toughened glass onto a shower tray may damage/crack the tray. My tray is a 40mm low profile resin/stone style tray and I understand that fitting it onto bed of flexible tile adhesive will be fine. My question is does anyone have experience of these trays managing heavy glass screens without issues?
    Many thanks

2. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Most of the load will be carried by the wall anchorage ,not the tray.

3. dcox

dcox Screwfix Select

And the trays are designed to take the weight. Some screens are 10mm thick.

4. John.h.

John.h. Member

Non of the load will be carried by wall anchorage..

5. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Yes it will ,in fact it doesn't even need to be in contact with the tray.

6. Simon M

Simon M New Member

Mine definitely won't be held by the wall as it's an aluminium channel to keep it vertical along with a cross brace support bar. I'm relieved you guys think the tray will stand the weight of the glass though so thank you for the moral support.

7. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Surely the aluminium channel has to be fixed by screwing to the wall.
    The cross brace alone is wholly insufficient.

8. Simon M

Simon M New Member

Yes the aluminium channel will be screwed to the wall and glass will slot in so it can't fall away, but the full weight will be onto the tray as the channel doesn't clamp onto the glass in any way.

9. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

And what's stopping this heavy piece of glass from coming out of the wall Channel ?

10. Simon M

Simon M New Member

I don't honestly know but think I need to phone the company who sold me the glass panel and ask that question. Thanks for pointing this out.

11. John.h.

John.h. Member

a gasket that pushes in

12. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Yes that would be worthwhile. If it's the type that has a bit of rubber strip keeping the glass into the wall profile ,in my opinion they are poor design.

13. John.h.

John.h. Member

nothing wrong with the design..

14. DIY0001

DIY0001 Active Member

40mm tray and 8mm glass? No problem! :)
    Mine is a 25mm resin tray with 10mm glass, and completely solid and stable for a couple of years now. ;)
    Having said that, mine was laid onto 18mm marine ply and ~25mm of concrete. If you are planning on using tile adhesive, check the floor underneath is solid and not subject to distorting or warping with moisture. Not from leaks, but from the tile adhesive as it dries. Also, check the tray installation instructions, as some installation methods will void the warranty.

15. Simon M

Simon M New Member

Yes, I'm onto 22mm modern floor boarding as it's a new extension and its 1st floor bathroom, well screwed down and extra noggins below shower and bath area. I was thinking flexible tile adhesive made for wooden flooring because I thought it would bond to floor and tray better. The instructions say to bed on bead of silicone or a 5:1 mix of sand and cement. Am I better off not using the aluminium wall channel and then buying some glass clamps that I can fix to the wall?
    Many thanks

16. John.h.

John.h. Member

17. DIY0001

DIY0001 Active Member

Nothing wrong with using the wall channel, that’s what it’s for, and it should be easier to seal than glass clamps.
    If you haven’t already, get a couple of good quality vacuum glass lifting handles to make it easier to lift the heavy glass securely into place.

18. Simon M

Simon M New Member

Great idea, I have a friend who is a window fitter!! Am I better with 25mm of sand and cement or is the flexible tile adhesive a good idea?
    Thank you for the help

19. DIY0001

DIY0001 Active Member

The thing that’s important is that there is enough adhesive material to fill every gap between the bottom of the tray and the floor or wood that it is laid on, so that every part of the tray is fully supported. I think you would need a lot of tile adhesive to ensure that, especially if a 25mm layer is recommended. In my case, the warranty required installation on sand & cement, so that’s what I used and it seems pretty solid without any voids: you can tell by tapping across the tray with a screwdriver handle. Also, tile adhesive is, by nature, flexible, so probably won’t provide the required support when put down in such a thick layer.

20. Simon M

Simon M New Member

Good advice and much appreciated, thank you.