Height of utility floor - advice needed

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by David Cecil, Jun 7, 2021.

1. David Cecil

David Cecil New Member

Hi,

We have just had our garage converted into a utility room. The builders have put the lower edge of the worktop at 90cm from the current unfinished floor level which leaves a 5cm gap above the freestanding washing machine and dryer.

They have said they set worktop at this height so when we had the floor done the floor height would be raised by approx 2cm (based on tiling the floor).

We are actually planning on having vinyl (lino) flooring in the utility, which at its thickest is probably only 0.5cm. We will also need the floor levelling before the lino is laid (maybe another 0.5cm thickness?).

Overall this would raise the floor height by 1cm.

Does anyone have any suggestions for how we could raise the height of the floor further (maybe by an extra 1cm) to close the gap between washing machine and worktop? Maybe we could add more than 1 layer of the floor leveller to build the height up more?

Any suggestions much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Dave

2. I-Man

I-Man Screwfix Select

why not just lower the worktop instead?

3. David Cecil

David Cecil New Member

builders have said they think it is fine so they wont do it, also have a Belfast sink fitted in to it and various bits cut in the back of the units for plug cables etc at the height it is now all set at

Is lowering a worktop an easy job?

4. I-Man

I-Man Screwfix Select

well the base units should have adjustable legs, but if plumbing has already been connected, may be a case of having to adapt it. Also of the backsplash has been tiled above the worktop, then you'll have another issue.

Alternatively if it's just the washer and dryer that you need raising, why not just set them on a plywood base.. whatever thickness suits. Or could tile that area where they fit...plenty of options

5. David Cecil

David Cecil New Member

Plywood base is an interesting idea...is there any problem with then taking the appliances out and putting them back under the worktops if they are on a base? Does anything exist that allows the appliances to be raised and also accessed more easily (something on wheels or sliders or something maybe)?

Thanks for your replies so far

6. jonathanc

jonathanc Screwfix Select

just lay 10mm ply under the washing machine at the back and wind up the front legs to level up. or even better tile under the machine. chances are pushing the machine over vinyl will rip it anyway so just tile under the machine

7. David Cecil

David Cecil New Member

how much would tili
    How much would you say tiling increase the height of the appliances by please?

8. I-Man

I-Man Screwfix Select

the thickness of the tiles plus few mm for adhesive, depends on how thick it's laid.

Seems you're over complicating this all, have you checked if your appliances have adjustable feet also (they should)