Help before I have a nervous breakdown please!!

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Nikki123, May 24, 2023.

1. Nikki123

Nikki123 New Member

I used caulk, I think it was Soudal around all my new door frames and skirting tops. I’d used caulk before with no problems. I allowed to dry for a good 36 hours. But then I painted Dulux over it. I never primed it in the past as I never had a problem. Here’s how it has gone.
    1st coat - looked ok
    2nd coat - looked ok
    2 days later - staining coming through.
    Internet search suggest undercoat
    3rd coat - undercoat
    4th coat - undercoat (to be sure)
    5th coat - emulsion
    6th coat - emulsion
    3 days later staining coming through
    Internet search suggest Zinsser Bin
    7th coat - Zinsser
    8th coat - Zinsser
    9th coat - Zinsser
    10th coat - Zinsser (wanted to be sure)
    11th coat - emulsion
    12th coat - emulsion
    It’s coming through again !!
    I’ve used this bloody caulk everywhere. I’m fed up painting. It looks worse than ever. I know it will be suggested to dig it out and start again but I’m worried about really making a mess. Any ideas from anyone??

2. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Contact Soudal see what they say, might be a duff batch. Contact number should be on the tube.

If Zinsser BIN doesn't cover something is very wrong!

3. Nikki123

Nikki123 New Member

Thank you for that. I will

4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Had exactly the same thing happen pre Covid using Soudel.....straight in the bin job no 2nd chances given......went over it with Bullseye 123 appears to have worked. Will be seeing the customer in a few days so will eyeball the Soudel filled 123 areas and report back.:eek:

5. Nikki123

Nikki123 New Member

Be great to hear. I’ve gone over mine so many times. Since putting the Zinsser Bin on, the flashing is coming through darker than before. I’ll keep my fingers crossed for you lol

6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

BIN is a solvent sealer as is Cover Stain that's why I used Bullseye 123 being a water base sealer.

7. Truckcab79

Truckcab79 Screwfix Select

Also worth a call to Dulux. I used various brands of caulk and had dark shiny staining on every area used. It also stayed sticky for literally years. Dulux said it was a reaction with their paint. If I recall their tech guy said something about the alkaloids in one or the other. Entirely their products fault and refunded me in full. Thankfully was my own property on that occasion so no client issues to deal with.

8. Nikki123

Nikki123 New Member

Thank you for that. This is what my problem looks like. And this is after undercoating, repainting, Zinsser Binning it four times and then repainting again. And it’s around every single door and skirting board!! Arghhh! I will definitely call them. Thank you.

Attached Files:

9. Nikki123

Nikki123 New Member

Oooh! I might give that a go. Have just emailed Dulux too as per Truckcab so I’ll see what they say too. Thanks guys for all the advice. I’m learning ALOT!!!

10. Truckcab79

Truckcab79 Screwfix Select

Looks exactly like mine though I’ve lived with it for years and it’s on a very dark blue grey so most won’t notice. It’s still sticky. The Dulux guys were super-helpful. Funnily enough asked if I could just paint over it with Zinsser and they said it wouldn’t work. I couldn’t see why not so be interest to hear how you get on if you try it.