Help - Cold Feed To Storage Tank In Loft Blocked

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Michael1, Oct 20, 2009.

1. Michael1

Michael1 New Member

Hi,

I have no water to any bathroom taps or toilets only water to the kitchen tap.

The cold water tank located in the loft is empty, I called a emergency plumber who advised that the cold feed to the tank must be blocked. He checked the ball valve and said that was ok and when dismantled said there was no water going into the tank.

No valves have been turned off or tampered with.

The only suggestion he had was to check the pipe (lead) for blockages but to do this would mean breaking ceilings/walls as the pipe is concealed.

Any help would be much appreciated...

Thks

2. ThreadJacker

ThreadJacker Active Member

3. Is it strong enough to...

hit the wall on the other side of the room ]:)

4. Michael1

Michael1 New Member

Hi,

Thanks for your reply, sorry I could not reply earlier... finally gave up trawling the internet for answers last night.

The pressure to the kitchen is ok, the same as its always been. Although the plumber did mention that it was not that strong.

I did find the thread with the same problem, shame he didn't post back when he got it resolved.

Once again any advice would be appreciated...

5. tightenit

tightenit New Member

The cold feed to the cold water tank comes directly from the mains, after your stopcock which likely serves only the kitchen sink. Do you have a small header tank in your loft for the central heating? Is that dry too.
    Trace the cold feed as best you can back to the stopcock.
    If you can't source the blockage just cap it off and run a fresh pipe.

6. picasso.

picasso. New Member

ask your neighbours if they have noticed a drop in pressure, the water authority could be working streets away and could have turned down the pressure, wait before pulling down your ceilings ect

7. Michael1

Michael1 New Member

Problem sorted....
    Initially there was no water in the cold water storage tank and no water any where in the property other than in the kitchen.

Ball valve in stoarge tank was o.k., F&E tank also had no water into it from the colf feed.

Yesterday I checked the cold water tank and there was water in there and the hot water taps were working. It was a airlock in the cold water feed which was easily solved by holding a rag to a mixer tap with both hot/cold on.

Thanks to all those who posted replies...

8. picasso.

picasso. New Member

what??? you do not get airlocks on mains water pipes, are you saying the water just came back on

9. doing a bit

doing a bit New Member

sounds like a gravity cold that was blocked ??

10. ThreadJacker

ThreadJacker Active Member

I'm glad you got it sorted but this emergency plumber who came round, did you pay him good money not to fix the problem?

11. Michael1

Michael1 New Member

Yes water just came back on, first the storage tank was full and then the hot water worked from the taps.

The plumber was through insurance so fortunately didn't pay him and even more fortunately did't give the go ahead to pipe a new cold supply into the loft as per his suggestion.

I spoke to another plumber and he advised although rare you can get airlocks in the cold feed.

Thks