Help! Cowboy builder - laminate floor - big gaps round door frames

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by SamH86, Jan 3, 2022.

1. SamH86

SamH86 New Member

Hello,

I need some advice please. Please don't say "start again", I'm not in the position to do so, I just need to make this look as acceptable as possible.

Cowboy builder has left us with the following rather than going under door frames. I've done some research and seems to suggest I can't just fill the gaps with a sealant because it's essentially an expansion gap, is that right? I can probably get away with a large sealant bead around the 2nd picture but definitely not the third. I can't even think of another option!

I can obviously put wood beeding down around the skirting board as shown in one picture but what can I do about the doors? There's 4 doors in total I need to sort!

Thanks for any advice.

20220103_111435.jpg 20220103_110527.jpg 20220103_110448.jpg

2. Truckcab79

Truckcab79 Screwfix Select

Sorry you’ve been left with that. Very poor.
    Second picture use silicone. Colour matched to floor or clear if you can’t find a decent match. It’ll have enough give in it to still act as an expansion gap. (Try tile shops as they stock a wider range from BAL and Mapei to match their grouts)

Last one I’d be tempted to get some of the flooring if you can and cut slivers to fill. If not then a flat trim of timber rather than a scotia or quadrant. Stain and varnish to match floor. If the flooring you’ve used happens to have a door threshold strip made to match exactly then sections of that used as trim would be even better.

3. Truckcab79

Truckcab79 Screwfix Select

Not clear but if those are doors either side then if they open toward the trim then you may find it catches and you need flat trim on all of it.

4. Jimbo

Jimbo Screwfix Select

Cork strips

5. Movieman334

Movieman334 Member

Expansion gap should be 10mm ,