Help, dark particles in water and other bits caught up in aerators?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by go80, Jan 23, 2023.

1. go80

go80 New Member

Hi, I live in a new build property that's 2.5 years old, and I've been noticing for a while now probably a few months (without really processing that it wasn't just dirt from the body after a bath or shower etc) these little hard dark specs in the water from the taps and shower mixers in our bathrooms - Iv;e tried smearing them, no residue and aren't soft like rubber. So far I've not found anything from the kitchen main tap, but am getting them when running the cold water only in the showers, bath mixer taps and other sinks. We have one of those large hot water cyclinders, but no big water tank up in loft or anything.

So, pictures below I'm noticing this little grey grit like particles in the water - seems to be very much present when running cold taps:

IMG_7747.JPG
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

IMG_7753.JPG

IMG_7749.JPG

As part of the overall investigations, I took off the aerators for a few of the sink taps, which have never been off before since the house was built and also found a build up of other weird bits too, which I have no idea what these are? - Its possible they've just been trapped here since install? But would really welcome any identification or advice on these also.

IMG_7752.JPG

IMG_7750.JPG

No idea what is going on, but it's starting to worry me a bit. I rang the plumbing company who fitted it all and they said they wouldn't help investigate.

Appreciate any advice on what any of this may be and how to investigate further/resolve.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 23, 2023
  2. masterdiy

masterdiy Screwfix Select

go80, you could call your water provider.
    Otherwise you will need a plumber to check for contamination from somewhere.

You could check to see if you have a filter in the system.
    Alternatively, just you clean out all taps like you are doing in the picture, & check them again in a few days.
    Hope that helps you.