Help - extending plug socket cable

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by ByrnePerk, Jan 22, 2017.

1. ByrnePerk

ByrnePerk New Member

Hello,
    I needed to extend the power cable inside an existing plug casing. I was creating a partition over an existing wall and the cable wasn't long enough to get to the new socket location.

(a) should a qualified electrician do this and

(b) was this the right junction box to use? Ive started reading that it should have been 30amp rather than the 24am stated on this product:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/debox-in-line-connector-box/8692h?activeTab=qaTT

Ive attached some pictures Wires.jpg

2. ByrnePerk

ByrnePerk New Member

Sorry, to add it feed two double wall sockets. First with the separate brown and blue, second with the grey cable (little bit further down the wall). The two cables on the right are the extended earth (Ive just twisted those onto the old shorted earths.

3. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

You can do it, but there's lots wrong with the photo.

The connector blocks are not large enough (as you suspect) and you need to sleeve those earths and connect them properly.

You also need to join each pair of cables separately, so you will need two junction boxes.

Is this going to be accessible once the wall is built or not?

4. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

And. The whole of the cable sheath must be inside the box enclosure. That means NO blue brown red black or green/yellow cables are outside the enclosure. The cable clamps at each end are to clamp on to the external cable sheath.

But you probably need a completely different junction if it's going to be hidden in the wall.

5. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

6. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

And that FCU that is next to the old socket. That has to be removed and made accessible. Even if it is not being used any more, it cannot stay where it is.:eek::rolleyes:

The more I look at this, the more I think your option a) is the way forward.....

7. ByrnePerk

ByrnePerk New Member

Thanks chaps...suspected as much. The connector block didn't feel right when inserting the old two red/two black (32a from fuse box). I did need to run a sheath around the earth cables (the earth is from the original run just not sheathed). I'll call an electrician to extend it properly rather than tidying it up.

tina lucinda lane and Sparkielev like this.