Help fixing noisy tap

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by DanielR, Feb 22, 2018.

1. DanielR

DanielR New Member

Hello,

This tap is very noisy when I use the toilet, other taps in the house or the shower. Any ideas on how I can fix it?

Regards,

Daniel

Attached Files:

2. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

What sound does it make ,clanking ,banging ,drone etc ? And do you mean if that tap is NOT running , you hear a noise from it ,whilst another tap is running ? Or have I totally misunderstood your post ?

3. The Teach

The Teach Screwfix Select

Really need more info as per terrymac, Is the tap handle loose ? it looks odd for some reason :(

4. DanielR

DanielR New Member

Thank you for your message, I should have been more precise. It happens when the other taps, toilet or shower are/is running. The tap is turned off. To be honest, the sound is more like the CO2 alarm going off... 1st time it happened I was on a very cold night- we tought is the neighbour's alarm- so I assume the mains pressure was low and since then every night the temperature drops around 1-2 degrees or lower it does the same... I have noticed that even when the washing machine is taking water it makes a humming noise. Does that make any sense?

Regards,

Daniel

5. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Are you sure the noise is from the tap ,not your mains stopcock ,that may be below the sink / tap ,or somewhere other in close proximity ? You could have a look under the tap at its supply pipe ,see if you have an isolation valve that isolates that tap. If you do ,isolate the tap and see if the noise is still persisting. If it is ,its not the tap. If its stopped ,change the tap.

DanielR likes this.
  6. DanielR

DanielR New Member

I am quite sure it is not from the mains stopcock, I will upload a short video later today. I will isolate the tap like you said, see what happens. I have tried to open it and take the cartridge out but it seems stuck. Better off just changing both taps maybe.

Thank you

7. DanielR

DanielR New Member

Hi again,

This is the video I have uploaded on youtube, horible noise.

Regards,

Daniel

8. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

Ok, your pic in your first post is on the left hand side of the sink.........................let's assume it's the hot tap. The YouTube video is the right hand tap, so should be the cold tap.
    So maybe it might actually help us to help you if you can tell us what tap is actually causing the issue ?

DanielR likes this.
  9. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Dynamite will fix the problem easily!

10. DanielR

DanielR New Member

Hi, I realised that, they are both noisy, the one on the right/cold tap is a lot noisier than the one on the left that's why I choose to have it in the video. The picture was sent by my wife, didn't think it will make a difference....

Thank you,

Daniel

11. DanielR

DanielR New Member

Didn't think about that, do you have a step by step guide? :)

12. The Teach

The Teach Screwfix Select

seems the tap drips for a while in the off position then drips stop,do both taps do the same ? Any other dripping taps in the property.

There may be isolation valves under the sink which could be turned off temporarily and then try other water taps,flush wc and see if noise appears.

The noise appears to stop when the drips have stopped,Does your water system have any type of booster pump ? Really needs onsite investigation every property is different,its usually something simple ;)

DanielR likes this.
  13. DanielR

DanielR New Member

I see... In the video I flushed the toilet, that is when the noise and the drips started, once the toilet tank was full the noise ceased. The same thing happens during the night when it's cold and the pressure it's low.
    Both taps are quite the same, the cold one always the noisiest. I do not have a booster pump, the mains feed the bathroom, kitchen and the the last it's the toilet. I only have 2 more taps in the bathroom and they do not drip or make any noise.

Thank you

14. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Have you tried isolating taps as earlier suggestion ? Any different ?

DanielR likes this.
  15. DanielR

DanielR New Member

Yes I did, there was no noise at all so it is from the taps....

16. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Fit a new pair of taps ,preferably with screw down heads ,rather than ceramic 1/4 turn lever valves. Yours are kaput !!

17. DanielR

DanielR New Member

Probably the best long term solution...
    Thanks for the advice.

18. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Your welcome mate