help i need a new boiler

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by audi-evo, Jul 19, 2004.

1. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

i have a glow worm swift flow boiler which is on maintanence contract with british gas.
    Unfortunately it breaks down every week and when the gas board come out they scratch thier heads fiddle about for an hour or so and somehow get it working, then a few days later it goes off again and they come out again and do it all over again.
    the problem is that when you turn the boiler on the pump starts but the boiler fails to ignite.
    I got sick of this and so decided to get a new bioler, but now another problem has arose, i cannot put the new boiler where the old boler is because it is 285mm from an opening window and i have been told it has to be 300mm.
    Is there any boilers that can be sited less than 285mm from an opening window.
    It is 220mm from the flu to the end of the brickwok and 65mm from the edge of the brickwork and the opening window, making a total of 285mm.
    Also could i get round this by removing the opening window and replacing it with a fixed window

2. Jim

Jim Guest

You could replace the opening window with a fixed and that would be OK or if they are wooden just nail them up so they cant be opened and that would pass also.

3. dp

dp Guest

Swiftflow is a simple enough boiler. Am a little surprised that it could not be fixed thus requiring a new boiler.

Can you say why you are not using a registered gas engineer to carry out the work? If you have already unknowingly purchased a boiler that does not have the same footprint as the one that has been removed, I dread to think the kind of difficulties you will encounter before the job is completed. While I am not saying the new boiler will not fire up, who do you plan to call if the boiler does not work.

This is the kind of scenario the registered gas fitters are highlighting (without effect) in another thread that resulted in posts approaching 600 in number

4. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

The trouble is i have signed a contract with british gas to service my boiler and no offence the trade but i don't think they can get the staff these days. Most of thier engineers seem to only be trained to identify the "bog standard" faults, when they come up against anything that is not on thier fault sheet they are knackered (and so it would seem am i)
    I am sure that the boiler could be fixed but i'm just sick of the hassle. (the engineers are in my house more than me).
    I have found a corgi engineer 25yrs exp and have seen his work. he has just set up his own firm and seems to know his stuff.
    He has told me to sack the gas board and he will fix it but i have decided to get a new one.
    he has recomended a vaillent and is charging me £200 to fit it.
    he has also told me if i seal the window shut it will pass the regs

5. chris@vietec.com

chris@vietec.com New Member

£200.00 he obviously is not going to powerflush the system or fit controls to ensure it is Part L compliant or commission it correctly

6. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

he power flushed my system a month ago and used an inhibitor, thats why it's cheaper this time (i know tell me ive gone about this **** forward)
    he has measured up it is a fairly straight forward swap and about a days work.

7. dp

dp Guest

Things do not seem to add up here. BG is involved, independent gas fitter is involved, BG cannot repair a bogstandard boiler, client has a boiler that does not fit, sealing of window, price. List goes on. Things do not seem to gel here.

8. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

ok dp let me try to explain, bg are involved because i have a contract with them to service and repair my boiler.
    independent is involved because he is the one i used to powerflush my system, renew some minibore pipes to my rads because they were trailing on the floor, and also shift a gas pipe for my new cooker, oh and he also fitted my gas fire.
    BG can't fix a bog standard boiler after loads of visits because no one told them that when you replace the PCB the new unit is a modified version and you have to remove another small circuit board (forgot what he said it was called) but the part no. is 0161ay1c
    And the price of fitting my new boiler! he said he will fit it in a day for £200-00, thats £25-00 an hour, thats what he always charges me and works out around fifty grand a year without overtime, seems fair enough to me.

9. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

Oh and by the way it is fixed now because they sent out a senior engineer who diagnosed it and replaced the pcb in about 20 mins