Help - I want to get carpentry & joinery experience?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Starlord69, Jan 25, 2020.

1. Starlord69

Starlord69 New Member

Hi,

I hope someone can give me some help/advice. I live in Cheshire and I went back to college recently to train in Site Carpentry & Joinery at Reaseheath Colleg. I did a 2 year CITB diploma (level 2&3) and got a mix of merit/distinctions. I'm 50 but have worked in construction in the past mainly in the office as I was an assistant QS (I've got a degree in Construction Management and was a chartered member of the CIOB) initially then worked in a family business that was in commercial glazing/window fitting in office units for a developer, which we sold back in 2008. So I have got site experience. I just hated being in the office and enjoyed being on site doing practical stuff. I am finding that no one is interested in employing me in carpentry & joinery despite what I read about skills shortages. I'm still fit so I guess my age is putting people off. I really need to get some experience before I feel confident enough to have a go at something myself. I'm really interested in timber frame/modular construction. I just wish that there was some interest from employers. I have tried sending some speculative applications but no success. I keep looking for opportunities as a mate or assistant but they are few and far between. I'm feeling disheartened as I have gone to the expense of college, got my own tools and have a Berlingo van. I'm currently working part time as an administrator, which isn't what I want to do. I've always want to have a go at selfbuild. Any ideas or advice anyone??

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
  2. ElecCEng

ElecCEng Screwfix Select

If you have the tools/space, can you put together garden furniture, sheds, garden buildings etc? Sell these through eBay/gumtree and build yourself a portfolio to demonstrate your capabilities? Also you could do work for friends/family type contacts, again to build up a portfolio. May take a while but at least you’ll be doing what you set out to do. Good luck!

Starlord69 likes this.
  3. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Negatives first......
    Forget the site experience you have, it’s not applicable to the career you wish to pursue. College doesn’t count for anything, only real day to day building work does. Unfortunately as soon as you say your age and type of experience, the shutters come down. Prospective employers won’t want to know as in their eyes they could employ someone thirty years younger, fitter, stronger etc for a lot less than what they’d legally have to pay you, and possibly have a longer service of employment from them than they would you. By the time you’re experienced enough to fully stand alone and independent as a carpenter it’s not far off retirement time. That’s how the majority would see it. It sounds harsh but it’s sadly the reality.

Positives
    No point getting older if you don’t get wiser. If you don’t already I would start going to the local decent pubs around builders hour 4-7pm, have a beer or three and slowly get to know some of the boys who frequent there over a few weeks, once they know your scenario they’ll hopefully be more inclined to help or at least introduce you to someone who can, rather than if you’d just struck up a conversation initially, listed your qualifications and experience and asked for a job right off the bat, it can come across as overpowering.

Also look at nearby timber framing factories, the majority of workers in there are semi skilled, with maybe one carpenter overseeing the production, so it could be a good place for you to start, the pay will be poor but at your stage all pay will be poor starting off, you just gotta grit your teeth and crack on with it.

Abrickie and Starlord69 like this.
  4. jimoz

jimoz Screwfix Select

Surely you'd get on agency work easy enough if you want experience. Loads of that going round here particularly in the summer. Not paid the best but generally don't think a lot is expected of you - i've seen some of the 'joiners' agencies supply

5. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

And me, generally they’re full of workshy ninnies, but the experience would probably be unpleasant and offputting for the guy, it’s a horrible enough experience when you’re thrown in at the deep end without the people employing you thinking you’re useless too if you don’t have the experience to back you up.

jimoz likes this.
  6. jimoz

jimoz Screwfix Select

Yes agency guys do get a hard time at least it's some experience I suppose.

7. Abrickie

Abrickie Screwfix Select

It may not be exactly what you had in mind but timber framing factory is probably the way to go