Help identifying internal door mechanism

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Luke_VSS, May 11, 2023.

1. Luke_VSS

Luke_VSS New Member

Hi, I'm trying to find a replacement for my internal door mechanism but I just can't identify what it is I need, any help would be appreciated.

The mechanism seem to be like a rim latch but embedded into the actual door itself which is odd. It's old vintage brass / iron and has the marking "Eustonian" but nothing comes up on Google. I've attached some pictures.

I'm hoping I can just order some replacements from somehwere. I've considered fitting new mechanisms but as the doors are missing a huge portion of wood right where a traditional mechanism would need to sit, it seems like alot of work to make good and then start from scratch.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Luke
    20230511_181213.jpg 20230511_181129.jpg 20230511_181110.jpg 20230511_181058.jpg 20230511_181049.jpg 20230511_181031.jpg

2. arrow

arrow Screwfix Select

Luke_VSS likes this.
  3. Alan22

Alan22 Screwfix Select

What is wrong with it?

4. Luke_VSS

Luke_VSS New Member

5. Luke_VSS

Luke_VSS New Member

The circular spring in the handle is broken in all of them meaning the handle just hangs loose and not brought back to centre once used. Hope that make sense?

6. Alan22

Alan22 Screwfix Select

I'd say easier to replace with a new spring, even if you have adapt another or have someone make a new spring than find and fit a new handle, your local blacksmith maybe?

Nice lock, and rare it seems.

Luke_VSS likes this.
  7. Luke_VSS

Luke_VSS New Member

Alan, I didn't even think of that! I looked on Amazon and they have what I need, thank you!

8. Jordan9301

Jordan9301 New Member

Did you ever find out what these latches are called? I have the same type but I have one missing on one door. I'd rather buy a new latch rather than replace the door as it's has been notched out like yours