Help! Is it possible to paint fence panels without drips?!

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by lydiamor, Mar 6, 2021.

1. lydiamor

lydiamor New Member

Hi everyone, I’ve recently painted my side of our garden fence, but at the same time I asked our neighbour if I could also paint our side of his fence that backs onto our garden. Unfortunately he has declined permission as he’s worried about it dripping through to his side. I totally get it as the fence panels are overlay ones and we get on well so I don’t want to cause an issue.

However, I’ve since been quietly seething as his side of the fence is comprised of 14 fence panels, of which every single one has been replaced independently so each one is a different colour. My garden is a rainbow of horrible brown colours varying from dark brown to cedar red, 8 different varieties in fact and it’s SO UGLY. His fence surrounds our decking area and the whole length of our garden so there is no escaping it.

Is there a foolproof way to guarantee no dripping? Is this something a professional can guarantee if we paid someone? We only rent so I’m loathe to spend a lot or start faffing with putting our own fence up etc. But I’m struggling to find a way to try and cover these and now it’s in my head I just can’t stop focusing on it! I’m
    Currently now looking at stapling artificial grass over the fence panels just to cover them! Any other suggestions? Thanks all!

2. koolpc

koolpc Screwfix Select

Dont load your brush! Go sparingly. Take your time. Buy a thicker based paint instead of the watery ones?

3. lydiamor

lydiamor New Member

Thanks Koolpc. I’m using Cuprinol Duckbase and feels quite thick when I’ve done the other side. I probably slapped it on the other side (as the fence overlay was over/under so not much risk of drips) but I know this side I would need to go easy as the panels are overlaid the other way which means drips could go through. I was debating asking him if I could try doing just one panel and if it drips and wrecks his side then I will pay for a new panel, but it’s still an expensive risk!

4. McSport

McSport Active Member

The Ducksback tends not to run too much.
    I used some Cuprinol Garden Shades as my Partner wanted a certain colour. That was like water and ran a lot.

I painted the Neighbour's side in Ducksback and mine in Shades before fitting.

Has the Neighbour painted/treated their side?

5. lydiamor

lydiamor New Member

The neighbour has treated their side but again all in mismatched colours but they aren’t bothered by the different colours. Which makes me think will they be bothered if there is a tiny accident here and there BUT that’s not my call to make and I shouldn’t expect them to put up with it!
    I’ve just been out to wickes and Homebase and they have a lot of the bamboo type screening which would cover a large area so now I’m leaning towards that and then hoping maybe the real ugly dark brown panel might blow over this year?!

6. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Needs to be the summer and warm with dry weather. Run masking tape along joins. I'd use exterior masking for rough surfaces myself. Slap on the fence treatment. Wait until its dry and pull tape and carefully brush the area where tape was. Done

7. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

I’ve used the Cuprinol Ducksback in a similar situation when I painted my sisters side of the fence, with an agitated neighbour on the other side who was also concerned about drips showing through - which is fair enough and I get the concern for sure

I had it easier though as sisters fence was feather edge vertical slats which were pretty much all tight against one another and no paint got through

With your fence, if it’s Waney Lap / Traditional / Overlap / (same style fence panels has several names) the slats often bow in certain areas, or at least gap and can have knots that have either fallen out or have holes in them - any of these areas will be likely to allow paint to bleed through - even though the Ducksback is thick and gloopy

Difficult one as we can all sympathise with the neighbour and understand their concern but painting rough fence timber, you do have to work the paint into the surface to get even coverage. 2nd coat goes on a lot quicker and easier and uses less paint than the first coat

Dunno really :(

8. lydiamor

lydiamor New Member

Yes the way his fence panels are and the way they overlap and they now because they are old, I can see how paint may end up dripping through.
    It is frustrating that I have no say in the appearance in my own garden as he replaces each panel individually every time they come down with different colour ones.

9. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Extra work but just wondering what size are the panels and could you consider removing the panels to paint them ?

Slow going and you need space to rest panels whilst painting but this way, you could monitor the neighbours side as you paint and wash off any paint that does seep through

Yes, more work, time and effort for sure but if they’re your fence panels, what’s to stop you temporarily removing them ?

Certainly shouldn’t be anything fixed to them on neighbours side

5/6’ panels can be tricky to manoeuvre, more so if trees are above them but just a thought

10. Dr Decorator

Dr Decorator Active Member

Could you attach another panel to the front then paint?