Help...is this right?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Kelly Baughan, Aug 16, 2019.

1. Kelly Baughan

Kelly Baughan New Member

Had plumber in to take off old rad and replace with heated towel rad....pipe work looks dodgy. Am I right in thinking this or is this normal? He has been struggling with it for a couple if days. Thank you

Attached Files:

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

A plumber using compression fittings,looks more like a diy job!:eek:

Me,I use proper end feed soldered fittings.

3. Joe the Plumber

Joe the Plumber Screwfix Select

Agreed. Soldered joints would have been much better. Some symmetry of pipe length either side would have been nice. The PTFE tape
    round the threads on the bottom of the valves ought to be round the olives under the nuts, and not visible.

If he couldn't get under the floor to alter the pipework it's not disasterous, but as Kiab says, it's very DIY.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
    Heat, blarblarblarblar and KIAB like this.
  4. Kelly Baughan

Kelly Baughan New Member

Ok thanks. It's not very aesthetic. I'd expected a much larger radiator to fit the pipes really but I daren't say anything as it took so long to do.

5. Joe the Plumber

If the rad had been wider, given how close the original pipes are to the wall, he might have had even more trouble lining them up with the valves. Towel rails do stick out a fair bit.

6. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Mike83, longboat, Heat and 3 others like this.
  7. That does not look as if it was done by a Plumber. There is no need for any ptfe tape on the bottom of the rad valves joining to the copper, the olive only needs a smear of paste, very diy.

longboat, Mike83, Heat and 2 others like this.
  8. Joe the Plumber

I quite agree about PTFE tape. I tend to use jointing compound if it's needed, but as he'd used PTFE tape, that's why I mentioned it.

Mike83 and Heat like this.
  9. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

Embarrassing work.
    White towel rail.
    Chrome valves.
    Brass compression fittings.
    Copper pipe.

I think a wider towel rail would have looked far better. Easy to offset pipes slightly to suit a wider fit.

longboat and Heat like this.
  10. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

Just noticed the ptfe. That’s poor.
    The valves usually tuck under the radiator also.

11. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

Wot and he had a bender!lol

Mike83, Heat and KIAB like this.
  12. Kelly Baughan

Kelly Baughan New Member

We've just discovered the radiator is leaking from the joints!? This is the second plumber we've had to fix our bathroom, only to make it worse and cost us loads! Can I fix this myself?

13. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

Try to get some compensation from the idiot that installed that towel rail, - or if you haven’t paid the full money to him, don’t pay.
    DIY work at a quality only just above a scale of zero.
    Pipes ideally need to be redone from below floor and all soldered.
    Not every job is this possible - tiled floors etc and customers who don’t want floor disturbed, or say they don’t care, etc.
    But a towel rail with pipe centres close to existing pipes and pipes offset would look quite professional.

In my opinion in the photo even using angled rad valves would have looked better due to one less connection.

Try to find a real plumber who is also honest and experienced.
    Seems to be lots of pretend trades about nowadays.
    I guess the plumbing is an easy job according to them, until they actually attempt any. :)

longboat, Mike83, KIAB and 1 other person like this.
  14. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

I would get him back to sort it out. You paid him after all.

Did he bend those pipes over his knees?!

As above, wider rad would have better plus no compression joints.

Mike83 and Heat like this.
  15. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

Did the 'plumber' explain to you before starting the job that "yes, it can be done but as there's no access below the floor... it ain't gonna look pretty".?

teabreak and Mike83 like this.
  16. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

He could have done a much better job than he has done though.

longboat and Mike83 like this.
  17. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

Do I take it the new radiator isn't very tall or has the installer simply used the old radiator mounting bracket holes? Can you post a picture showing the whole thing?

longboat and Mike83 like this.
  18. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

I was thinking this aswell.

19. Kelly Baughan

Kelly Baughan New Member

We expected a much bigger radiator as this is really no bigger than the old one we had.

Attached Files:

20. Kelly Baughan

Kelly Baughan New Member

It's only a vinyl floor on top of floorboards. If it meant we prevented this then of course he could have gone under floor but he assured us he'd get a towel rail that would fit existing pipework

longboat likes this.