Help missing key to turn on gas fire

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by njsm, Nov 8, 2010.

1. njsm

njsm New Member

I have a gas fire in my sitting room - and have lost the "key" to turn the gas supply on - it is like a large radiator key - does anyone know where I can get a replacement? The size of the valve that needs turning is approx 10mm x 7mm. My neighbour has a key that fits so I am assuming they are a standard size.
    I have been to a fireplace shop and 2 hardware stores but no-one can help me.

2. Light_spark

Light_spark New Member

try the wheel part of a gate valve

3. out of trim

out of trim New Member

4. Bert Large

Bert Large New Member

Why is the gas turned off in the first place ?
    Evening Dick ;)

5. njsm

njsm New Member

The mains gas pipe goes into a gas cock, which then leads to the gas connection in the fireplace - which looks like a real coal fire. So need to turn the gas cock tap on to turn the gas on to the fireplace to light it, and then turn off when not in use. It is a Victorian fireplace and appreciate new gas fires probably aren't set up like this anymore! My neighbour has similar set up and they have an old fashioned key, with a brass knob attached to a hollow metal tube - the tube is then flattened into a rectangular shape at the end, which fits into the gas codk to turn the tap on. I need to find a similar tool. Any suggestions please?

6. HOTDOG ø

HOTDOG ø Active Member

Get a Gassafe engineer out, he will be able to source a key or upgrade the valve to a newer one.

7. njsm

njsm New Member

Thanks for the link - think it might be the right size, will let you know when I receive it. Thanks again.

8. EXPERTGASMAN

EXPERTGASMAN New Member

Have you just moved into this property?

9. njsm

njsm New Member

No - 10 years! But thought the key that was on the mantelpiece was the right one. Have had the chimney swept and checked, and the gas checked, but never used the fire until now.

10. njsm

njsm New Member

out of trim - the keys arrived today (excellent service from BES) and they are the right fitting! So ma very grateful to you for the link. I asked so many plumbers merchants and ironmongers, none of whom were able to help, so thank you very much indeed (and the key was very cheap!)Worth knowing for people in Victorian etc homes where the gas supply to the fireplace is not very sophisticated (but still in working order)

11. out of trim

out of trim New Member

No problem; happy to help.

12. EXPERTGASMAN

EXPERTGASMAN New Member

Have you had the fire checked? As well as your flue (and the gas?)