Help needed. EICR Report.

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by VladM, Sep 30, 2022.

  1. VladM

    VladM New Member

    Hello all,
    I have 2 bedroom flat which I am planning to rent our. I have just we have done an EICR report. It came unsatisfactory on 9 points (3 C2, 1 FI and 5 C3).

    1 Downlights in ensuite and bathroom are not fire rated with insulation above lying on top X6
    chrome bezel, may need large oversize bezel as ceiling plasterboard in poor structural condition
    around light. 6 in total (C2)
    2 Downlights (chrome bezel) throughout flat showing heat damage to secondary cloth insulation
    (70mm hole in metal sheet ceiling for 55mm can) 21 in total (C2)
    3 Downlights throughout flat have exposed connector block with metal framework (C2)
    4 Kitchen socket ring has higher R1 than expected (FI)
    5 No RCD protection on any circuits (C3)
    6 CU has combustible materiel (plastic) construction (C3)
    7 No supplementary bonding visible but no exposed pipework (C3)
    8 No SPD fitted (C3)
    9 No AFDD on socket circuits (C3)

    I have also received a quote for remediation. Which is almost £2000 for the following service:
    "Quotation to carry out C2 faults ad FI. Works include replacing all down lights in property"

    Does this sound reasonable? Should I ask someone else to give me a quote to address C2 points?

    Any perspective is much appreciated - Thanks
  2. Coloumb

    Coloumb Screwfix Select

    Really need some pictures of the lights but yea, it looks like the lights have overheating issues and it looks like the terminal blocks used to connect them haven't been properly enclosed. No rcd's on any circuits imo shouldn't be a c3, should be c2. It suggests that the CU is an old re-wireable type which is probably over 40 years old and in need of replacement. Again some pics of the cu would help. What where the r1 readings for the kitchen ring?

    Also the report should refer to specific regs in 7671 which are missing.
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2022
  3. MGW

    MGW Screwfix Select

    That's nothing to do with an electrical report, that should be in the fire safety report.
    That translates as can't be bothered to do his job, unless a door has been left locked.
    To be frank in my own home I have all RCBO protection, and I feel any rented property should also have all RCBO protection, but that is not what the law or the best practice guide says.

    Also to be frank the requirements to rent out a property have become so tight, I decided not to rent mother old house out, I simply sold it, not worth the hassle.

    I can get around 5% return investing the money, so £250k looking at £1000 per month OK it may not get that return could be done to 0.5% so £100 per month but also can cost to rent, so unless you want the home for future use, for son or daughter for example, not worth renting.

    OK the property may raise in value, but can also drop, my old house today valve same as it was 5 years ago, this house has doubled, but no way could I have predicted that, people now work from home so want larger homes in the country, that may change.

    Invest and I can access the money easier, and the risk is spread, so safer bet.
  4. sparky steve

    sparky steve Screwfix Select

  5. The Happy Builder

    The Happy Builder Screwfix Select

    FI means Further Investigation is required because an issue has been identified.

    The electrician is there to test and inspect, not to fault find and undertake remedial work.

    So the electrician has done his job.
  6. The Happy Builder

    The Happy Builder Screwfix Select

    Based on your opinion as a layman.
  7. Coloumb

    Coloumb Screwfix Select

    I get the impression you want to provoke me into starting an argument. I'm finding more and more you drop in a little sarcastic comment here and there and then don't actually follow it up when actually questioned about what you are trying to pull me up on.

    So please, explain what you mean by "layman", though I expect this to be reference to the fact that I don't actually work in the electrical industry, in a largely derogatory sense?
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2022
  8. The Happy Builder

    The Happy Builder Screwfix Select

    Are you a non-ordained male member of a Church?
  9. Coloumb

    Coloumb Screwfix Select

    This is ridiculous. I'm not wasting my time over any of this.
  10. The Happy Builder

    The Happy Builder Screwfix Select

    Presumably you aren't blessing people, so it must be the other meaning of layman, a person without professional or specialized knowledge in a particular subject.

    The consumer unit or fuse board has not been condemned neither has the remainder of the installation, because of a lack of RCD protection to any of the circuits.

    That is actually correct, but it does make item seven more important, as supplementary bonding is required in the bathroom anf as there's not any gas heating I presume there's at least a light and an electric heater in the bathroom.

    Reading the report it comes over as genuine and correct.
  11. The Happy Builder

    The Happy Builder Screwfix Select

    That £2000 quote is looking iffy, I would want to know exactly what would be done for that money.
  12. Coloumb

    Coloumb Screwfix Select

    Ah I see. So essentially you are insinuating that I don't actually know what I talking about when it comes to commenting on or advising on electrical installations? If that's the case what would be useful would be if you could justify this by actually pointing out where I have been incorrect due to my lack of knowledge?
  13. The Happy Builder

    The Happy Builder Screwfix Select


    To answer your question, I would want a detailed quote stating exactly what will be done and to get an alternative quote.
  14. The Happy Builder

    The Happy Builder Screwfix Select


    In the original post that has been linked to above the poster has said it is a second floor flat without any direct outdoor access, so sockets will not be used to supply equipment used outdoors.

    As much as I hate to say it, having taken advice from leading industry experts and throughly researching the issues, not having any 30 mA RCD protection at all in this installation probably does only warrant C3 observations, so long as all the required earthing and bonding is in place.

    After each observation concerning a lack of 30 mA RCD protection I would note that “Improvement is highly recommended”
  15. Coloumb

    Coloumb Screwfix Select

    you’re kidding right? You mean because I wasn’t aware of something mentioned in a totally different thread else where on the forum I shouldn’t have mentioned the anything about the missing rcd? this fact not being mentioned or commented on in this thread that I actually posted in?

    The op even said he had been given the wrong report.

    How can you even begin to base an argument on that basis?
  16. The Happy Builder

    The Happy Builder Screwfix Select

    It is the post you commented on seven times, keep up ;)
  17. vrDrew63

    vrDrew63 Active Member

    Get two written estimates and have the work done.

    Yeah: £2000 out of pocket seems like a lot of money. But in reality, it's probably less than two or three months worth of rent for the property. Unless you are a qualified electrician, you can't do the work yourself. And without remediating these faults, you can't legally rent the property out. Sometimes you've just got to suck it up and do the right thing.

    Last note: My (quite newish) house has a plastic CU. I can see how a "combustible" CU might potentially be a problem. I'll get around to changing it some time. But I don't stay up at night worrying about it. A lot of other electrical things would have to go wrong before it actually became an issue. I just wonder how the entire electrical industry tolerated them for ±30 years before they decided they were a problem.
  18. Coloumb

    Coloumb Screwfix Select

    you can also write off the expenses as a loss on your profit. When u say plastic cu, is it fitted with mcb’s?
  19. Ind spark

    Ind spark Screwfix Select

    @Coloumb question.
    If all the terminations are tight does a plastic consumer unit need replacing? Just C3 isnt it?
    Also do they not make a metal enclosure to put over it, saves replacing it?
  20. Coloumb

    Coloumb Screwfix Select

    Yea a c3 but if signs of overheating then c2. Not sure about metal covers

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice