Help Needed. Patch appearing when painting freshly plastered wall

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Matt_Sca, Oct 31, 2018.

1. Matt_Sca

Matt_Sca New Member

Hopefully, somebody can help me! We recently had one of our walls plastered and when doing so had a channel chipped out to install plug-socket which was then plastered over. This left an area of the plaster a different colour to the rest of the wall, which I was told was down to the depth of the plaster and PVA applied to the area. This was in February.

We finally got round to painting the wall over the past few weeks which we started with 3 watered down 'mist coats'. there was still a slight discolouring or the area but this disappeared after the last white coat. We then applied the darker colour around a week later (last night). Unfortunately, after the paint dried the patch is back more prominent then ever, there also looks to be some discolouring at the top of the wall now also, which has never been noticed before.

Any advice on next steps would be really appreciated.

Thanks

Matt

WhatsApp Image 2018-10-31 at 11.41.56 (1).jpeg WhatsApp Image 2018-10-31 at 11.41.56.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2018-10-31 at 11.41.56 (2).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2018-10-31 at 11.41.56 (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2018-10-31 at 11.41.56.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2018-10-31 at 11.41.56 (2).jpeg

2. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

Wait 3 days (assuming you've got heating on) or a week (if no heating), and it'll most likely be gone.

3. Matt_Sca

Matt_Sca New Member

Hi Roger, thanks for replying. So what is the issue do you think?

4. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

It's most likely the absorbancy rate of the substrate.
    I've had many shock horror moments which turned into nothing after a few days.
    Best of luck.

5. Matt_Sca

Matt_Sca New Member

Thanks Roger. I’ve only applied 1 coat so far so could probably do with a second. Would you recommend waiting to see if this is absorbed before applying the second coat? Or won’t it make a difference?

Thanks again

Matt

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Old fire place?