Help needed with next step after removing wallpaper

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Movieman334, May 6, 2018.

1. Movieman334

Movieman334 Member

Hi All,

I'm trying to remove my wall paper and re do my bedroom, Ive reached the stage as attached pictures show and now I'm not sure what my next step should be.

Should I plaster or skim.

Just put new wall paper on

Do I have to remove every single bit of wallpaper

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. fillyboy

fillyboy Well-Known Member

Depends what type off wallpaper is going up. If it's a flat paper with a printed pattern, the walls need skimming, if it's a raised anaglypta, the walls will need at least a bit of filling here and there depending on the thickness of the anaglypta.

3. Astramax

Astramax Well-Known Member

You need to remove all wallpaper and sand all walls back to a smooth surface, filling out areas where required with Easifil and a caulking tool, then sanding smooth when dry would help to achieve a smooth surface and not so involved as a re skim. You do not say what type of wallpaper you will be hanging

4. Movieman334

Movieman334 Member

Thanks gents, Astramax I know you mention to remove ALL the wallpaper is this totally necessary do you think ? as it's a real pain to move as it's been painted over so the steamer struggles to penetrate it properly.

What I was thinking is I would be able to skim the whole wall as it is, very light layer and then put plain white wallpaper over it and paint it ?

THanks Filly boy and Astramax

5. fillyboy

fillyboy Well-Known Member

6. candoabitofmoststuff

candoabitofmoststuff Active Member

Yep... it is!

Regards,
    Cano

7. Movieman334

Movieman334 Member

Thanks gents, i've decided to remove all the wallpaper and give it a good skim :)

8. CGN

CGN Well-Known Member

I'd give it a good sugar soaping to get rid of the paste residue etc. If you want belt and braces approach, then blue grit before skimming. Skimming is the way to go though.

Longy75 likes this.