Help needed with wall light wiring please

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by db1259, Mar 25, 2020.

1. db1259

db1259 Member

Brilliant guys, thanks for your help. Especially you terrymac for sticking with me all the way through! :)
    One final thought, I'm going to need to put some polyfilla in the hole in the wall once I've finished the job. Is that likely to cause any problems as it will be in contact with the terminals and the wires (there isn't enough space behind the wall to push the terminal all the way back through)

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
    terrymac likes this.
  2. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Will the light fittings base plate not cover ,or accommodate the terminal block ? Does it really matter if there is a hole behind the baseplate ? Bear in mind we have no idea what the light fitting / base plate looks like !!

3. db1259

db1259 Member

No that's a fair question, but in short as the old & the new fittings are different shape/sizes, it was impossible to fix the base plate over the existing hole as the screws would be in a hole (!) so I've had to drop it an inch & aiming to fill the hole in without damaging the wires/lights

4. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Cover the connector block and wires with gaffer tape if you can,and fill over.

5. db1259

db1259 Member

Nice one, cheers again *thumbs up*

terrymac likes this.
  6. db1259

db1259 Member

Thought you might want to see the finished product, since you kindly gave me all that help...!

IMG_1405.jpg

7. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Nice job ,and the switch you chose is incredible ,blends in so well you can't even tell it's there !!!!!!!

8. PandA3

PandA3 Active Member

So... it was a dimmer!:rolleyes:

9. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

It was a knackered dimmer !!

10. PandA3

PandA3 Active Member

;)

11. PandA3

PandA3 Active Member

:eek::eek::eek: