Help - new light fitting, light permanently on

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Eli1969, May 15, 2022.

1. Eli1969

Eli1969 New Member

Hi everyone,

I tried to fit a new light fitting my wife bought online yesterday. I thought that taking pictures of the existing setup would make things easy, but I should have taken some at different angles. There are three cables coming from the ceiling thus:
    -Two with one red and one black cable - from limited knowledge I think these are previous light(or consumer unit) and next light.
    - one with two red and one earth cable. Neither of the red cables has any black sheathing or marking to indicate it is switched live.

Following another post, which others responded to saying it worked, I tried this:
    - connecting three reds together in different combinations to ensure other lights on the circuit still work. Any combination of three red works- other lights ok

Then
    - connecting the two black to the neutral (black cables)on the light fitting
    - again in combinations , connecting the three red together, and the other red to the live (black cables with a red stripe) on the light fitting

Only 1 combination above produces any light. Trouble is that it is permanently on , so I have connected permanent live which should be in the loop (3 red together)?? Tried replacing the switch which has earth, and one red in each of L1 and COM as well. Just in case.

Grateful for any pointers or advice ( other than get someone one, which I just can’t afford right now)
    Thanks
    Eli

2. Ind spark

Ind spark Screwfix Select

You was nearly there..... the 3 reds connect to nothing (Just each other)and the spare 1 connects to the live in the light.

RSC likes this.
  3. sparky steve

sparky steve Screwfix Select

You have loop in & loop out plus switch wire.
    297B5DC7-15E6-4D24-8083-C2CE4ABEB3D4.jpeg

RSC likes this.
  4. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

Looking at cables first not wires.
    One cable feed in.
    One cable feed to next light.
    One cable to switch.
    The cable to switch should have a red sleeve on the black showing it is switched live but so easy for this to fall off.

However with power off, and a meter set to buzzer or ohms, one cable the buzzer should turn on/off when light switch is flicked. That is clearly cable to switch and that black wire should have the red sleeve.

It seems you have got a red sleeve on one black, my next thought was you have damaged switch but you say that also swapped.
    You should have more than one, so it would seem some thing wrong with the cable to switch or switch, only option is to test with a meter or other continuity tester, could use a door bell, hence called belling out.

5. Ind spark

The way I read it he has a twin red so shouldn't need to bell out.

RSC likes this.
  6. RSC

RSC New Member

See the 2 replies above for how it should be wired.

7. Eli1969

Eli1969 New Member

Cheers, that is what I have. 3 reds connected together, 1 red to liv on the light. No combo works other than perm on.

8. Ind spark

Are the 3 reds seperate from everything else

9. Eli1969

Eli1969 New Member

Cheers Steve. Apart from only one earth this looks like what I have. 3 reds connected together, one red to light fitting , which should be the switched live , but isn’t in my case.

10. Eli1969

Eli1969 New Member

Thanks again. Yes 3 reds joined by a connector block.

11. McSport

McSport Screwfix Select

There should be no Red going to the Light Fitting.

There should be permanent Neutral Black. All Blacks (unless with a Red Sleeve/Marker) should be on the same Terminal.
    And a Switched Live. Usually Black with Red Sleeve. One Cable will have the Red Live going to the Switch. This Live is returned to the Light fitting on the Black when the Switch is operated.

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/567453621770313487/

12. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

I would have not expected a red to the light, would expect to see two blacks. Or black with red sleeve.

13. Ind spark

Is one of the cables a twin red?

14. RSC

RSC New Member

According to the op Yes, he has 2 x red/black & 1x twin red and pretty sure he has twin red at the switch.

15. Eli1969

Eli1969 New Member

Thanks. Yes , two red/black, one twin red and earth.

16. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Show us a picture of how you have the wires connected.

17. Eli1969

Eli1969 New Member

Cheers Mc but I have two / red black and one twin red/ earth. Two black are connected to black on fitting.

18. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

An actual photo please ,not a diagram

19. Eli1969

Eli1969 New Member

The black tape on one of the reds was just a marker to denote I had tried it on the connection to live on the fitting, not there before.

Attached Files:

20. McSport

McSport Screwfix Select

What colour wires do you have at the Switch?