help on insulating a ceiling

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by geordie-guy, Dec 18, 2009.

1. geordie-guy

geordie-guy New Member

hi just wondering if anyone could help me with a problem i have..im converting the garage into a room and about 2 weeks ago i put some loft insulation into the joist spaces on the ceiling (the roof is a flat garage roof which has chipboard and is felted) anyway as i said i put the insulation in about 2 weeks ago and yesterday i was going to put up the plaster board ceiling when i noticed that the underside of the insulation was wet!..but i dont know how it could be as there are no leeks and no pipes there..but when i took down the rest of the insulation some were wet and some were dry..could anyone tell me what it is that im doing wrong?
    many thanx

2. nearnwales

nearnwales Member

The insulation you put up was it touching the underside of the roof ?. when you put insulation in between joists we normally use kingspan and that alike and leave a 50mm breathable gap between the insulation and the roof.

3. geordie-guy

geordie-guy New Member

yeah it was touching the underside of the roof as i stuffed in as much as i could thinking that the more i put in there the better the insulating would be..clearly i was wrong tho..is there a certain way of putting the insulating in there? its just that if i dont put as much inbetween the joists it falls back out!..
    many thanx