Help - Paint Choices

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Jonathan Carpenter, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Jonathan Carpenter

Jonathan Carpenter New Member

Hi there, Moved into a house last year and starting to decorate. In the past have just used dulux paint form B&Q etc, but have read a little about Trade Paint. Just looking for recommendations, for a undercoat and satinwood for woodwork which work together well (even a gloss if its easy to get a good finish), and also a white ceiling emulsion and recommendation for matt emulsion for the walls. Just looking for decent paint that is easy to use and gives good finish and longevity. Don't mind the cost as I refer to do a decent job and have ots of rooms to decorate so want them to last as I work through the house. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

2. blarblarblarblar

blarblarblarblar Active Member

Delux trade from the trade centre every time.

Astramax likes this.
  3. Astramax

Astramax Well-Known Member

Crown FastFlow undercoat and FastFlow Gloss.
    Johnstones Aqua undercoat and Aqua Satin.

KIAB likes this.
  4. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

Can highly recommend 'The Paint Shed', might save a few pennies with TCB/Quidco.

Got Johnstones Aqua satin & undercoat cheaper than I can get locally from them.

With water based paints use a quailty paint brush, using Purdy Monarch Elite myself.

http://www.thepaintshed.com/

5. Wayners

Wayners Well-Known Member

Really. That's the market leaded and the best finish? I've struggled with it and the wb satin is a nightmare. New formulation on the vinyl emulsion which was terrible has had good reception from the reviews I've read but not used myself.

6. Jonathan Carpenter

Jonathan Carpenter New Member

Thanks for the replies so far. I have heard good things about Benjamin Moore paint. Not sure how easy it is to get in the UK etc or thoughts on the quality. Also any thoughts on good matte emulsion for walls and ceilings?

7. Astramax

Astramax Well-Known Member

Google 'Little Green & Co' really nice paint.

8. Wayners

Wayners Well-Known Member

Shaw paints Slough for Bengimin Moore. Regal matt from same place and mail order. I have local stockest I use but only a few about but more coming. Nothing better that I've used and they colour match but that's never a good idea for all the obvious reasons

9. LGC Decorators Ltd

LGC Decorators Ltd New Member

If you don't mind to spend a bit more, then I would recommend F&B modern emulsion to walls. This is of course if you don't mind slightly shiny finish. As for woodwork, Johnstone oil based eggshell gives very nice finish when fully dried.