HELP!! PLASTER DRYING OUT TOO SOON!!

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by marcusryan, Oct 4, 2005.

1. marcusryan

marcusryan New Member

Hi i'm a new plasterer and have recently done only my second job which was a large ceiling. The ceiling had been boarded and just needed skimming. As i'm new to the game im not sure of the best technique, as i was plastering the ceiling the plaster was drying out far to quickly and was becoming unworkable. This resulted in obvious joins in the plasters. Is there any way to reduce the time the plaster goes off? Also please can someone give me some tips on how to do a large ceiling area?
    Thanks.

2. richiesambora

richiesambora New Member

Hi. You say you are new to plastering, where did you learn to plaster and who taught you?

Well there are various reasons your plaster will set rather rapidly.

1. Best before date. Plaster has additives in it that prevent it from setting so you have time to work with it. If the plaster is out of date then it will set rather fast, sometimes even before you have turned it out onto your spot board.

2. Dirty/Contaminated water. If you are mixing a fresh batch of plaster it is imperative that the water is clean. If not then this can effect the setting time.

3. Water down well. Before you turn out your plaster onto your spot board you must ensure the it has been soaked with water. This prevents the moisture being sucked out of the mix and effecting the setting time. The same applies with your hawk and trowel.

4. The room temp. If it is like an oven it the room you are working in then unless your are fast your mix will set quicker.

Hope these help. how large a surface are you skimming and how quick is the mix setting?

RS

3. marcusryan

marcusryan New Member

It was quite a large ceiling that had been boarded. I like i tried to do a too larger area at once which caused the plaster to dry and become unworkable. Can you put PVA on plaster board so that the plaster board doesnt take out the moisture as fast?

4. richiesambora

richiesambora New Member

NO FOR GODS SAKE DONT PUT PVA ON THE BOARDS. The boards are designed to absorb the moisture from the plaster that is the whole point of it. If you follow my previous instructions you should be ok. You see the art of plastering is all in the speed and knowing when to leave it and when to go back to it.

5. World class musician gives masterclass in plastering, Damn He's talented...:)

6. nearnwales

nearnwales Member

yes you can pva plaster broads

7. Datacom

Datacom New Member

yes you can pva plaster broads

Yep, and buy yourself a brush to sweep up the plaster when it falls off the ceiling.

If the ceiling is too big, get another plasterer to trowel it up behind you if its setting that quick, or you could of course mix the plaster up properly, it'll take about 45 minutes before it starts to go off.

8. slapiton

slapiton New Member

no p.v.a. on boards, but o.k. on dry bonding if you have scrim taped and bonded ceiling line and board joints.as you apply first coat of skim try to get it as flat as poss, then get the second coat on flat and paint water on with a 6inch brush. you can then flatten in with your trowel.there is no need to burst your bollo. oh. and use board finish.

9. Boxer Red

Boxer Red New Member

think nearnwales is a windup merchant!?!

10. richiesambora

richiesambora New Member

Yes you can PVA plasterboard but you can also get in your car and reverse it into your garden wall if you really wanted to, but why would you want to do that?!

Why on earth would you need to PVA plasterboard?

The design of plasterboard is so that the moisture is absorbed at a certain rate along with the additives that are in the plastre that gives it its setting time.

Dont get me wrong, Im not slating the idea but just cant see why you would need to PVA plaserboard.

11. richiesambora

richiesambora New Member

Mudster I applaude your reply. Richie Sambora is indeed a world class musician!

As for my advice.....................Well it only my opinion!

12. bmbplastering

bmbplastering New Member

when i first started i put in stupid quotes so as not to get large ceilings that where too big for me. however as i built up ive found that a little dampening of the board with clean water in a fine spray can give you an extra few mins or so. however the best option is to lay half on, then lay it down. whilst this is pulling in do other side with fresh mix with clean water. once this is laid on and laid down you can start to trowel other side up repeating on other side when you get to it. also train your laborer to trowel up it takes a lot of the ball ache out of your day. weve just done 2 ceilings 45sqmeters in a day. does any body know where i can buy a new shoulder??

13. Pride'N'Joy

Pride'N'Joy New Member

Hi BMP how many sq mtrs can you skim in a day and is that with you mixing too or with someone doing that for you?

14. Feckin hell your boys are slow.... just started a new build bungalow and hit the first ceiling of 50 sq mtrs plus two ensuites. Spent half the time smoking **** and reading the mirror, and I never have a labourer when skimming....what for?

15. Hoskie

Hoskie New Member

And you will die of cancer from all those **** you smoke!!

16. sooperman

sooperman New Member

pva on plasterboard ** me. whoever told u that is not a plasterer. any plasterer would be ashamed to pva a board. to slow down the mix add a drop of pva in the water also deck the room out and charge the client but for *** sake dont pva the board. or jus get some help you cheap skate. lol

[Edited by: forum admin]

17. layiton

layiton New Member

hello markusryan, experience is the only answer to your question about doing a big ceiling,but have you been taught how to plaster properly? If not it will be a long learning curve,you will be doing things wrong for years until you suss things out for yourself or pick peoples brains along the way.How big! is this big ceiling? probably nothing to experienced spreads.Dont run before you can walk! good luck in your new career!!

18. layiton

layiton New Member

absolutely no need to pva plasterboard,but it has been known! and still stuck to the ceiling.

19. nicknuv

nicknuv New Member

Don't add anything to the plaster or the boards. Break it into sensible areas and if one starts to go the join can easily be lost with the right trowel techniques.

If the ceiling is too big, get help.

I wouldn't attempt to build a loft extension but can hang skirting; know your limits and don't give us a bad name.

20. You can hang skirting Nick nuv, yet in a previous thread you were boasting about venturing into new build property construction.....sorry what was that about knowing your limitations and giving USbuilders a bad name??