HELP!! PLASTER DRYING OUT TOO SOON!!

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by marcusryan, Oct 4, 2005.

1. niton

niton New Member

This is an even better forum than the other one.......

2. layiton

layiton New Member

Does anyone actually agree with nick about not needing to put lime in the mix if your using plasticiser??

3. I certainly was not implying that nicks spelling and grammer were appaling, they are certainly better than mine, I just assumed that it was basic education that you were studying at college.....picking up on spelling is indeed the lowest common denominator in insult.
    No.....layiton, certainly no plasterer that knows his onions would use a non lime mix over a lime added one externally. Nick seems to be under the impression that all lime is for is to plastiicise a mix, on a different thread I have pointed out that there are far more fundamental concerns for its addition in external work, he just seems to be on of theese types who will never admit to being wrong even in the face of massive and overwhelmingly solid evidence to the contrary. If someone told me something that I was not awre of personally I would be gracious enough to concede the point and be thankfull to boot.

4. nicknuv

nicknuv New Member

Robbo, you misunderstood me; lime is an excellent additive with many applications. I just feel that the plasticiser admixtures are not required when using lime.

That's my opinion; therefore, I disagree with you on one issue, it doesn't make me wrong, it makes my opinion different to yours.

I'm not sure the personal insults were required as a result. :(

5. But lime will not waterproof!!!!
    And you need to float with a waterproofer!!!!
    And waterproofer is an excellent plasticiser !!!!

You are never going to catch your tail Nick no matter how you chase it around and around.
    We will agree to disagree.

6. nicknuv

nicknuv New Member

Robbo, the bulk of this was said in the original post..why keep on?

My point was lime and admixture plasticiser is superfluous. I don't use both. You can if you want, end of.

And as I said, a waterproofer acts as a plasticiser, but not vice-versa.

7. Well I have lost track of what has been said by now but I would agree with you on the above.

8. nicknuv

nicknuv New Member

End of then eh?
    :)

9. black is black

black is black New Member

I originally read this thread to gain a little info on plastering and only joined up to post this comment! NICKNUV & NEVILL YOU ARE LIKE A PAIR OF SCHOOL KIDS GET A FU**G LIFE AND STOP WASTING PEOPLES TIME WITH YOUR PETTY CHILDISH BULL ****!!!!!!!!! GROW UP! IF YOU WENT ON LIKE THAT ON A PROPER SITE THE PAIR OF YOU WOULD GET PUNCHED THE F*K OUT!

10. J.T. Builders Ltd

J.T. Builders Ltd New Member

* what?

mate this lot happend 2 odd years ago!!!!!

chill, they have all moved on now.

[Edited by: admin1]

11. Shut the * up blak is black and stay of of my forum you little worm.
    I certainly didnt move on...I found nicknuvs squalid pit of eternal stench that passed for his bedsit and beat him repeatedly around the head with a shovel, liquidised his body into butternut squash and fed him to my lion.
    As for the other chappie why worry, anything that would have been discussed would have sailed through your emty head and into the great beyond, and no one is about to tan my hide cus I am a nine foot sweet little monkey who plays the drums on that Topic ad.

[Edited by: admin4]

12. Hermitholes

Hermitholes New Member

Awesome forum.

Marcus, i know this is 6 yrs late, but maybe future readers may find it helpful.
    if the reason to PVA the board is slow down the dry/curing time of ur plaster, then NO don't PVA it. IF the reason is to waterproof the wall for bathroom/kitchen purposes, Yes I guess you can. Keep in mind, you'll need something else over the PVA. Otherwise, a whole new world of problems will arise which could be, I guess, educational in your venture.

TIP 1: I do recommend doing your PVA/vapor barrier/waterproofing prior to putting up the board. As RichieS says, you want the plaster to adhere to the wall, so the board must absorb (meld) the plaster.
    TIP2: Spray water prior to applying, may give you a good couple of extra minutes.
    This isn't a DIYer's kiND of thing you can succeed in a weekend for sure. Unless you got the time, $$, and persistence to keep trying. I'm small in stature and to top it off I'm a chick, so I feel your pain in what u took on by yourself. LOL. Where there's a will, there's a way.
    So, already noted by previous posts, solution 1) get 1-2 helpers. 2)contract a professional. Of course, there must be a reason why you are trying to DIY this yourself, thus thone 2 solutions are not viable. SO,
    TIP3: PREP is very important. render the area well. Horizontal scrapes are best. Prepare any scaffolding/ladders so that you can access the entire wall without pause. Cover and tape floor, furniture or any areas you dont want to eff up. Spray/moisten the board well (small area: pump sprayer. Large area: hose the sucker down). REST. When you are ready to invest in a steroidal workout that shames p90x, pre moisten the board, your hawk & paddle and start.
    Apply the first plaster coat thin, fast as possible. Start at the bottom. Like previous post said 'counter clockwise' is a wise fail safe method. Don't worry about imperfections (it's my guess why you ran out of time). Just go at it and get it on. I hope I don't need to tell you how you need to apply it at an angle (mortar 101) so your paddle doesn't stick to the wall. Meh, you'll find that out soon enough. Let it barely dry, so 5-10 minutes to rest tops. Yes 5 minutes. What did I say? REST before u invest into this!
    Second coat: moisten the area you are applying your second coat with water and apply another thin coat to even out imperfections. Spray, coat, smooth....spray, coat, smooth....rinse, lather, n repeat.
    Then, go pass out for 3 days and you'll get to walk like a 98yr old fart.
    Good luck!

13. Sherzad

Sherzad New Member

Hi.
    I was plastering for 10 years.
    I have never used PVA to plasterboard .

14. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

Well before you was plastering, this thread was started. Lazurus.

DIY womble and Jord86 like this.
  15. DIY womble

DIY womble Well-Known Member

Its an old thread but don't mind joining you , welcome new member
    The only time I would PVA would be if the boards had been contaminated , perhaps dirty builders boots
    What's your usual work ,

16. Sherzad

Sherzad New Member

no p.v.a. on boards, but o.k. on dry bonding if you have scrim taped and bonded ceiling line and board joints.as you apply first coat

17. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

Would you PVA though as opposed to using blue grit. ??

18. DIY womble

I like all of the wall to be of consistent suck if I'm having a fussy day , which is pretty much everyday unfortunately

19. DIY womble

Been using PVA for about 30 years so its second nature , main work is overskim , for the previous 10 years I only rendered , floated and screeded for my dad
    Loved it and never had an interest in skim but got sick of not being able to rely on the weather

20. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

I don't like PVA for anything really, comes back to life.

For overskims blue grit is perfect as it offer a bond for new plaster, but as you say been doing for 30 years without probs. :):)