Help please? Is this work acceptable?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Scott888, Mar 29, 2020.

1. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

It's absolutely c ack my number is 999 he needs arresting

Astramax likes this.
  2. Burtbaggy

Burtbaggy Member

Hi Scott, if you’ve paid him for this already then no he can’t knock it down & also it would be trespassing if you’ve not invited him onto your property. I think he’s just trying to call your bluff.
    As to the work he’s done. The picture you’ve taken from the front profile, I can’t see that he’s left a cavity between the two block work skins but it might just be the camera angle, can you confirm? If no cavity then it’s not fit for purpose.

3. Scott888

Scott888 Member

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean. There's gap between the two rows of blocks for insulation?

4. Dantech

Dantech New Member

I'm not a builder, but as everyone else has said this work is shoddy. Don't let him knock it down he has no right to do this. This is the worst work I have ever seen! Who would ever use blocks with green mould on them? You must have misheard him said he is a member of the master bodgers. I would get it looked at by a professional builder/surveyor or contact the council to have a look and take lots of pictures.

5. masterdiy

masterdiy Screwfix Select

Scott, if he arrives at your house to knock it down, ring the Police sap.
    That's appalling, even by my standards.

Quote " He also claims to be a proud member of the FMB on his website but doesn't show up on the actual FMB website. Is this false advertising"

Could well be false advertising. Is there a number to identify him?
    Why not, send them an email to see if he really is a member?

6. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

Since he claims to be a member of the FMB call his bluff and say you want to use their dispute resolution procedure. That should prove if he is lying about being a member.

Sparkielev likes this.
  7. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

If arrives at your house start coughing he will soon leave

gadget man, terrymac and masterdiy like this.
  8. Scott888

Scott888 Member

Never thought of that

Sparkielev likes this.
  9. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

yes if he is not a FMB member then it is false advertising. is building control involved? if so what is their opinion?

in any event if in the event he does turn up and knock it down then i suggest you go to court ( small claims) to recover your costs

10. Scott888

Scott888 Member

He's admitted he's not a member. I've been told the FMB will take him to court for claiming to be a member.

11. Scott888

Scott888 Member

Yeah, it's his website with his number all over it. He's said he just hasn't updated his website but since admitted he's never been a member. He's said yell designed his website so they must have put it on and maybe even paid for him to be a member!

12. masterdiy

masterdiy Screwfix Select

When did you find this out?

13. Scott888

Scott888 Member

I will be. Can't get in contact with building control with all thats going on.

14. Scott888

Scott888 Member

I found out he wasn't a member by going to open a dispute on the FMB website but there's no record of him. He's since admitted he's never been a member.

15. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

How much did you pay?

If paid up-to-date then the materials are yours so has no right to take down.

I would start again, spend some time in drawing out what you are after. I,e openings etc. and heights.

16. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

...all to your advantage if things go legal.

17. Scott888

Scott888 Member

He's been paid £2000. £1000 of this was for plans from an architect, planning permission, building regs and concrete for the foundations. So he's been paid £1000 for digging out founds and building that wall in two weeks. The £1000 was to be towards bricks and a bricklayer, which hes since admitted were never ordered. He's saying he wants another £500 cos we cancelled

We have proper plans from an architect so he knows what we wanted

18. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

You would only need building regs and planning if the porch was 3m3 area as well as certain height, does it fall over this?

£2k for the porch is ok price wise. Judging by what I paid. A porch isn't too big but there is still quite a lot of work that goes into it.

He can't change the outer course to blocks if you had agreed and it was planned to have bricks especially if you had pp for this, has a planning notice been put in and been approved etc. Did BC come out and inspect the footings etc. One being it is cheaper to lay blocks and don't have to be as neat as will be rendered.

Look like hes got rid of the bricklayer and just trying to put up himself.

Should take no more than 1.5 days to dig out for footings and fill.

Block work has probably gone up in 1 day.

So 3 days max labour for this.

19. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

Get screen shots of his website, and you can also save HTML copies of teh pages

20. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Were you not able to build the porch under permitted development then? That architect has just coined the easiest payday of his career. How did you come to choose the particular bloke to build it?