Help please to identify switched live and neutral wires to change from pir to new outdoor light

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Logical gal, Sep 15, 2020 at 2:55 PM.

1. Logical gal

Logical gal New Member

outdoor lights 1  - Edited.jpg outdoor lights 2 wall seitch - Edited.jpg outdoor lights 3 - Edited.jpg Hi, the outdoor pir lights I inherited with the house have never worked. I bought 2 non-pir lights to replace them. My new lights are in place ready to connect but only have two terminals: neutral and live ( pic 2 ).The existing wiring to connect is: brown, grey, black ( with brown sleeving ) and copper with yellow/green ( pic 1 ). So I need to identify the switched live and the neutral wires as these are the ones I need to connect to my new lights. The black wire has brown sleeving inside the wall switch and at the lamp end ( pic 3 ).Is this the switched live then? Can anyone tell me how to confirm the switched live and how to identify the neutral wire please? Many thanks in advance

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020 at 3:07 PM
  2. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Please make sure you switch the power off before touching any of the items I mention.

The PIR required a permanent live, which is the brown, a switched live, which is the black sleeved brown, and a neutral, which is the grey. You should disconnect the brown from the switch COM else it will be live inside your lamp not serving anything. Connect the black sleeved brown to the L on the lamp and grey to N.

3. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

The bare copper with yellow/ green sleeve must be connected to your new fittings earth terminal.

4. Logical gal

Logical gal New Member

Thanks, Terrymac, that's good advice. But I cannot see a third terminal on my new lamps for an earth connection ( pic 3 ). L and N are very clear. Am I missing something do you think?

5. Logical gal

Logical gal New Member

Many thanks Unphased, for your great reply, I totally understand. Just this though: regarding disconnecting the brown. The wires run for 16 feet inside the house wall or roof, so I'm very reluctant to try to remove it. Is there another way to 'neutralise' it and make it safe? There is room inside the new lamp housing for terminal blocks ( I think youcall them ). Many thanks in adance

6. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

The earth terminal on your fitting ,is immediately to the right of the incoming cable and slightly higher. It's just a screw with a small plate below it. Next to the earth symbol !!
    With regard to the conductor that you remove from the switch ,put it into an insulated terminal block
    And leave that within the back box ,behind the switch.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020 at 5:50 PM
  7. Logical gal

Logical gal New Member

That's why I asked. To learn something. And I have. Thank you for your knowledge and replies.