Help please with Worcester 20/25 query?

Discussion in 'Engineers' Talk' started by Dick Bartholomew, Oct 13, 2020.

1. Dick Bartholomew

Dick Bartholomew New Member

Hallo, Some advice would be MUCH appreciated! Just moved house and found that the above Boiler seems to have (probably!) a "failed" Head Actuator or a stuck Cartridge in the Diverter. (Symptoms: Turn on just 'Water' and you get hot radiators too!) Bought a 'used' Actuator - but was assured that it was direct from working Boiler - and had it fitted yesterday, but still get Radiators 'on' when just Water is selected.
    My query here please is: If the replacement Actuator is also not working what should I 'see' (or not see) as regards the position of the little white lever on the side of the Actuator?
    At the moment it's in the down position all the time. You can lift it up with a finger, but it drops back down again at once.
    So = = if the Actuator itself has failed would I expect to see no movement when selecting heat for Water or Radiators? ( in which case maybe I might not have a stuck cartridge at all ???)
    As the two parts are both over £100 each (and one requires a full drain down), I just don't want to make a mistake!
    Any ideas and advice would be hugely welcomed ,
    Regards, RIchard

2. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

There are three basic types of motorised valve, two port, and three port with or without a centre position, and plans Y, S, W and C. Also there is the combi boiler where it is built into the boiler, even when built into boiler often have motorised valves to select areas of the house heated.

Pictures are always good, but really need more info to work out what you have, where is the valve your talking about inside boiler or outside, has it got two or three ports. If there a hot water tank, give us some idea what you have.

3. Dick Bartholomew

Hallo, Firstly MANY thanks for offering advice.
    It's a Heatslave 20/25 Combi with the Valve built in. I changed the Head for a used, but supposidly 'working', Actuator (Honeywell UC4613-30)as that seemed the lowest cost way to see if it was just that part that had failed. Result? - no change,. the rads come on hot when just water is selected! I have now just bought a used but very clean Diverter Body with cartridge, but, of course, fitting it will mean getting in a Boiler man to do a drain down and fitting it, but before I do that I wondered if there might be a way to ascertain if the fault might lie in the Circuit Board? (I can see no movement of the white lever on the side of the Actuator when operating the controls, so had hoped that that part had failed, but if the cartridge is stuck maybe halfway open, then could it be at least 'freed' by remioving then Head again and trying to 'work' the spring loaded Cartridge by hand just to see if it would depress?)

One key issue is the age of the boiler - it's now 15 years old although very clean inside and had been regularly serviced I guess realistically it's near the end of its life.
    I have had various quotes for replacement all ranging around £4500 and having just bought the house and moved in over Summer, money is tight! I may well have to go the route of changing everything, and I guess a modern boiler would be (hopefully!) more efficient - although looking at various website articles they don't give one much confidence of them being a lasting item now!!
    I have photos of the boiler and internals, but not sure how to attach them to this,
    Cheers and thanks, Richard

4. Dick Bartholomew

Attached Files:

5. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

Sorry since internal can't help, I always get an oil central heating man to do anything inside the boiler shell, OFTEC registration is not legally required in order to install an oil boiler or storage tank. However I would always use one, mainly as often it is a case of try this and if it does not work return to van, so works out cheaper than DIY.

6. Dick Bartholomew

Understood, thanks for advice!