Help! Rather upset :(

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by goldenshower, Feb 24, 2020.

1. goldenshower

goldenshower New Member

Hi Everyone,

Last week we started a complete bathroom renovation project in our flat in north London at the cost of around £8k (half of it just for labour). The bathroom in question is rather small, at around 3.5sqm and has a rectangular layout.

The builder (who I found via checkatrade.com) is in the process of completing tiling and I have to say that I'm not very happy with the way the corners have been done - having seen other batherooms with metro tiling, I think they could've done a lot better with the tiling, especially towards the bottom next to the recess.

The corner in in the photo was covered with tiling/cement board of some sort by the builders to ensure that the wall is completely even and to be honest I don't have any complaints with the smoothness of the wall itself, but the corner as you can see is a different story...

I haven't spoken to the builders yet as I came home to find this... question to you is what's the best way to proceed? Ask them to redo the corner or use some sort of tile trim that blends into the corner to get it looking right?

Would really appreciate some advice and this was meant to be a hassle free experience.

Thank you.

[​IMG]

2. carl24bpool

carl24bpool Active Member

What actually is the issue. SOrry, but its hard to tell and I dont have time to stare at your photo until it jumps out at me lol.

goldenshower, Jimmycloutnail and Heat like this.
  3. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

I can’t see on first look anything obviously wrong.

4. Jimmycloutnail

Jimmycloutnail Active Member

seen a lot worse, slight bow in the bottom corner but metro tiles are always a nightmare in the corners. It will look better when siliconed neatly. Tiling actually looks good

goldenshower likes this.
  5. jonathanc

jonathanc Screwfix Select

Corner looks fine. Needs a bead of silicone down it: white or black will do. Looks a good job tbh

goldenshower likes this.
  6. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

As jimmy said, there’s a slight bow towards the bottom but certainly nothing to really whinge about. I think it’s a good job. Far better than what you would normally credit someone from checkatrade capable of.

goldenshower and Jimmycloutnail like this.
  7. goldenshower

goldenshower New Member

The marked spot is what triggered me. Appreciate laying out metro could be a challange, but this feels a bit sloopy?

[​IMG]

8. goldenshower

goldenshower New Member

You sound skeptical of checkatrade... So where does one get good builders from?

Jord86 likes this.
  9. Jimmycloutnail

Jimmycloutnail Active Member

Hopefully anywhere but, check a trade or my builder. These company’s are a sham

goldenshower likes this.
  10. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

From asking friends, neighbours, mates down the pub etc who they recommend, and then getting several quotes.

goldenshower likes this.
  11. Astramax

Astramax Screwfix Select

Maybe it's the photo but really cannot see a problem as others have already said.:confused:

goldenshower likes this.
  12. goldenshower

goldenshower New Member

My understanding is that with metro tiles the corners should be mitre cuts, which isn't in this case...

13. goldenshower

goldenshower New Member

Did that last time with the flat refurb and to be honest it was an average job... to be fair it was very cheap though :)

14. Astramax

Astramax Screwfix Select

Think you may have solved the problem now you mention it. :) or :eek:

goldenshower likes this.
  15. TheMorg

TheMorg Active Member

Do the tile patterns match in the niche compared to the wall?

goldenshower likes this.
  16. JustPhil

JustPhil Active Member

You do realise that’s not finished yet? Wait and see. Looks spot on for this stage of tiling.

goldenshower likes this.
  17. carl24bpool

carl24bpool Active Member

I still dont get what your issue there is.

Traditionally metro tiles are mitred on external corners but it doesnt matter on an internal corner and a mitre would just be pointless. If anything they should be mitred around the box but unless you specifically asked for this then I wouldnt expect it as you need a specific tile saw.

goldenshower likes this.
  18. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I would have got a few more quotes.

Not added my bathroom project up, but think it easily has come over 3k for materials, there is no wc, just shower and basin. Got a box full or receipts.

Labour wise could have been 4k as well considering how much work was involved. Considering its in London,price could be ok.

Not noticed anything wrong with tiling and Im pretty ocd :D
    What will be fitted where the pipes cone put?

goldenshower likes this.
  19. Mr A greig

Mr A greig Member

Best way to proceed is to let them finish the job.
    As mentioned its yet to be siliconed.
    The bottom looks slightly wonky but I assume you are connecting something to those outlets.

goldenshower likes this.
  20. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

As long as you use white grout (and not a coloured grout) you won't notice the bow in the wall once all is completed.

Hans_25 likes this.