Help required fir an elderly neighbour

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Cymro18, Jul 12, 2018.

1. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

:)

Crossed wires on this one. 'Allsorts' knows what I'm talking about!
    You're just caught in the cross fire Cymro :D

2. Cymro18

Cymro18 New Member

Part 1 done before and after pics and will finish the job tomorrow afternoon.

It has been emotional lol

Attached Files:

Allsorts likes this.
  3. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

These are pics of the same area?! :eek:

Can I move next door to you? Please?

4. Cymro18

Cymro18 New Member

Lol but that is kind of you !!!

I packed it with some cut up pipe insulation which seemed to work well.

This was a joint effort courtesy of the internet so thank you.

I have taken the plastic edging home with me so that I can give them a good scrub before fitting tomorrow. After having a closer look at the edging I think they are actually designed for shower trays as they are hard plastic apart from the edges which are rubber to create the seal.

I hope a really good clean surface both sides and a load of sealant will give me a good seal.

Allsorts likes this.
  5. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

Ah, a hard plastic strip with a softer rubber blade along its edges?

The rubber strips will only seal properly if they are pressed firmly against the tiles and tray, and for this to happen the 'hard plastic strip' part needs to be firmly attached right tight against both surfaces, which is what would happen when it had its active adhesive strip.

However, now that the adhesive band has gone (and good riddance), when you bed the strip down in silicone it will not be pressed tight against the surfaces since the silicone is not an instant adhesive, so the rubber blades won't be doing their original job.

You can still go ahead and lay a large bead of silicone and press the strip in to place and press it down until silicone is extruded out all along all the edges, but I wonder if the soft rubber blades will actually make this more tricky to then finish off along them? What do you think?

If you'd rather have a firm edge so work on, then you could use a Stanley knife to trim off the rubber part, leaving an L-shaped plastic trim (will it still come up high enough over the tiles?)

Have a play with the strip and the rubber blade - try and imagine how it'll go when you press it down in to silicone.

The very good news is that you have almost certainly cured the actual issue of the leak; it's already far better than it ever was from new. These self-adhesive strips will never ever do the job long, or even medium, term.

6. Cymro18

Cymro18 New Member

Thanks again do you think then that waterproof thick BUTYL tape would be better or go with your original suggestion.

Ps I am starting to feel that I know you now and my Mrs asked me who have I been communicating with constantly during the last couple of days lol

Allsorts likes this.
  7. The Teach

The Teach Screwfix Select

Teleseal manufacture bath/shower sealing products. Very useful when slight movement is expected in the bath,tray or wall :)

8. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

Lol!

I'm not sure what your trim is like - any chance of posting a close-up photo?

I suspect you want to get the job done with the existing bits, and that should be fine.

I think what I would do is to first check that the rubber edge can be easily trimmed off neatly, and also that the remaining plastic trim will still come up over the tiles by a good 5mm or more. I would rather work with a firm trim piece than one with soft flexible rubber edges.

Then 'simply' do as I suggested before; lay a nice thickish bead of silicone and press the trim down in to the corner and press gently until it's nicely level and the silicone has extruded out all along its edges. The silicone layer behind it will now be a mm or more thick. Then run a round profile - a pen cap or similar - along both edges to wipe away the excess silicone and leave a neat curved edge; the remaining tramlines of silicone can be removed after it's begun to set.

That should sort it :)

(No I have nothing to do with the Sali Army...) shower tray.jpg

9. Cymro18

Cymro18 New Member

Hi

Pictures are attached although I do not think you will be able to father much from them,I have my thumbnail against where the rubber starts on one of the pictures and it will easily still cover the old gap even if I remove the rubber, my worry is if I cut the rubber I will not get it straight it is all one piece and has not been added onto the plastic by the looks of it but I could be wrong.They have scrubbed up and are now completely clean the rubber itself is quite a hard rubber

Thanks

Attached Files:

10. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

The flexible blade will be a different material, although extruded out at the same time in manufacture - clever, huh?

Swings and roundabouts really. I think you'll find it easier to finish off the silicone extruded out from the trim if the flexible rubbery part has been trimmed off first, leaving a nice firm edge for you to run your 'pencil' former along. But that will need you to neatly trim the rubber part off first, ideally in a fairly straight line :)

Your call :D

11. Cymro18

Cymro18 New Member

You have got me this far so will stick with your reccomendations but what exactly do you mean when you say pencil former on the edge.

Thanks

From your annoying new buddy lol

12. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

Annoying? You?!

Man, by the standards of this forum, you ain't even begun to annoy :)

Ooookkkaaayyy, see the pic I posted above in post #28? Yes, the detailed sketch... The second sketch on its top-right will hopefully indicate what I mean.

Run that hefty bead of silicone (do a quick trial if you like to see what sort of quantity to use) along the tile-to-shower corner, ie over the now-set silicone you put there. Position the L-trim in place and begin to press it home gently, all along its length evenly so it goes down nice and straight and even. Keep running your fingers along its length on both faces of the 'L', pressing it gently further against each surface - the tile and the tray. Ease off when you see the silicone being extruded from under the L trim along the tile and tray edges. Carry on gently until you reach the ideal scenario which is that you have a visible bead of silicone showing all along both edges.

When you have managed that, find a round former of some sort roughly the size of a pencil. Virtually anything will do, including a pencil itself. Pen cap. Tip of a knife. The corner of a credit card.

Use this to run along the extruded silicone, keeping it in gentle but constant contact with the tiles and trim edge, and the trim edge and tray. You should end up with a neat tiny concave curved silicone finish as shown in my detailed sketch.

This gives you the gist of the process, although it uses the proper tool. In your situation you will end up with just a tiny line of silicone showing when you've done. If you use something round like a pen or pencil, you will likely also end up with a couple of 'tram-lines' of silicone left behind along the tile and on the edge of the trim. Simply allow them to almost set - say a half-hour - and chances are it'll peel off like stretchy rubber band.

By the time you've done this, that join will be super water-tight, with a double barrier against leaks. I doubt it'll ever fail.

By all means buy some new stick-on trim if you prefer, but I suspect you are trying to keep the costs down for this fellow?

13. Cymro18

Cymro18 New Member

Great I understand now and cannot thank you enough, you are owed lots of good karma back for your help,time and patience

Allsorts likes this.
  14. Cymro18

Cymro18 New Member

The job is done lol

Just a quick note of thanks once again you were fantastic.

All the best

Michael

Allsorts likes this.
  15. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

No photo = it didn't happen :p

16. Cymro18

Cymro18 New Member

lol it did after much cursing picture to follow as am popping over to check it over and pick up my Chelsea Buns !!!

Basically the old boy is a retired baker and after finishing he said he had something for me, as we walked into his kitchen there and as a large freshly baked loaf in the side and a paper bag full of Chelsea buns on the floor that his dog was ripping into lol so much for good karma !!!

Allsorts likes this.
  17. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

Picture of the Chelsea Buns or they don't exist. (Salivary glands at the ready...)

I think it's fab what you've done for your neighb :)

18. facilities

facilities Guest

Oh gawd I can’t take much more of this mutual admiration society, just give each other a big kiss and let’s get on with some other stuff :(

19. Cymro18

Cymro18 New Member

What a ray of sunshine you are !!! You must be very miserable with life generally I would say

20. facilities

facilities Guest

7A97EAB4-1866-4B22-84B4-3A76413206E1.jpeg
    :(:(:(