Help stopping a kettle leaking

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by TaDaScrewFix, Feb 23, 2009.

1. TaDaScrewFix

TaDaScrewFix New Member

Hi!

My rather nice kettle has sprung a leak around one of the 'windows' on the side. Looking in from the top, its obvious that the leak is due to the gromet/frame around the 'window' coming away from the metal 'wall' of the kettle.

I'm pretty sure that I can take it apart and get access to the faulty parts and that I could fix the problem with a suitable glue.

But here's my question what glue can I use to stick plastic to metal that won't degrade when in boiling water and is non-toxic?

2. gadget man

gadget man Well-Known Member

Buy a new kettle you tightwad!

3. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

High temperature gasket sealer(as used on vehicle engines). Don't ask me if it's food-safe though - £4.99.

New kettle from Tesco's - £5.99.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

4. TaDaScrewFix

TaDaScrewFix New Member

'gadget man' - No need to be cruel

Mr Handy Andy - Thanks I'll take a look at the sealants.

I have my reasons for wanting to fix the kettle. You can choose from a whole range from emotional attachment through environmental concern to sheer bloody mindedness. I didn't come here for abuse - I came here for help and advice.

Can anyone recommend a suitable sealant?

5. Mr GrimNasty

Mr GrimNasty Active Member

DOW CORNING® 781 Acetoxy Silicone Sealant or equivalent.

Approved as food safe/potable water contact safe in some countries, highly flexible and temperature extreme resistent. S/Fix have it in at clear and white.

6. TaDaScrewFix

TaDaScrewFix New Member

Thanks Mr GrimNasty.

Seems ideal - especially since it may only give off noxious fumes etc if above 150 degrees C.

If a kettle gets above 150 degrees I think I would have vacated the kitchen already :)

7. nigel

nigel Guest

The problems often due to scale build up distorting the seal , a descale may be enough to cure leak.

8. TaDaScrewFix

TaDaScrewFix New Member

Now there's a thought!

Looking at the 'frame'/'gromet' it looks like it is split but a descale won't do any harm..

Thanks

9. G Brown

G Brown New Member

Ditto

10. TaDaScrewFix

TaDaScrewFix New Member

Yeah! Double ditto!

11. Mark the Dog

Mark the Dog New Member

I had the same problem, an £80.00 kettle 3 months out of warranty Dualit refused to repair or replace.
    My kettle started leaking from the plastic window at the bottom.
    I solved the problem buy Dow Corning 781 silicone it is a food grade product and temperature tolerant, you need someone with small hands, make sure the kettle is perfectly dry, smear the silicone around the edge of the inner seal, dont worry if you get it on the window, wipes of easy with a spot of white spirit.
    The only place i could find the silicone was Screwfix.

Kettle now perfect again

12. Astramax

Astramax Well-Known Member

Where did you purchase the food grade white spirit from.

13. Mark the Dog

Mark the Dog New Member

no such thing as food grade white spirit, it evaporates, boil the repaired kettle a few times, all is good