Help! We are hoping to lay turf but found a driveway under the soil :( Any advice please! :(

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by Jennie2021, Jul 12, 2021.

1. Jennie2021

Jennie2021 New Member

Hi -

We have recently purchased our first home after 13 years of saving, we paid someone to come and "level" the garden but unfortunately, they made the garden even worse and threw 4 tonnes of stone onto mud and the garden looks awful ☹ We managed to get some money back luckily but not enough to pay the shocking quote’s we have been getting – so we are attempting the job ourselves

I have uploaded an idea of what our garden is like, there is a concrete driveway running ¾ of the way across our garden – there is around 10cm of soil/stone on the top of this... but it does vary as the garden is very uneven. We also have cobbles and a patch of concrete; we are hoping to put stone on the concrete and put grass where the stones are at the moment and block it off somehow. Looking at the old driveway it looks around 30cm+ deep and it is not something I could see us ever getting rid of due to the cost ☹ We are trying to make the garden as child friendly as possible and put lots of planters around the edge of the garden so my children can grow their own plants

The more random holes I dig, the more I find! Up to now I have found a brick wall, paving slabs, stone, a driveway, and old pipe work ☹

What should I do with regards to the grass please? Is this something I could put turf on or is it artificial grass? I looked into wood chip, but I am not keen on the look of it for the children’s trampoline to go on

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you

Attached Files:

2. Jennie2021

Jennie2021 New Member

This is what they have left it like :(

Attached Files:

3. Peter Burrows

Peter Burrows New Member

Congratulations for purchasing your new home! Massive step forward as i did 3 years ago.

Unfortunately you wouldn't be able to lay turf on this unless you dug it all out and started again. The grass will need nutrients from the ground and you just are not going to get them with this amount of soil.

You would have to dig down at least 300-400mm get rid of any concrete and stones etc and replace with top soil. This would have to be levelled out and compacted (normally by treading on a 8 x 4 sheet of ply) and the turf being rolled out on top of that.

So you would have the cost Skips ( for concrete) and hire of digger or a landscaper to come in and dig it out for you. and then cost of top soil and turf.

4. Peter Burrows

Peter Burrows New Member

Plus you need to think about drainage, this wouldn't be possible laying on a concrete drive or stones.

5. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

With a bit of soil over concrete grass will grow provided it has enough water but doesn't get drowned by the soil being water logged. You could get over the first by watering and the second by perforating the slab, I've done this on site with a big hydraulic breaker but here just a drilled hole or many would do the trick. Add a layer of Terram to keep the holes from blocking.

Those granite setts you have could well have a value so it might be worth looking at selling them in situ.

6. Jennie2021

Jennie2021 New Member

Thank you for the advice, we are booking a digger and fingers crossed we can do something with it :) i think taking the drive out would be too much for us, i am hoping we can lay artificial grass now

7. ramseyman

ramseyman Screwfix Select

As Stevie says it would be best to punch holes through/smash the concrete - try and ensure the digger you hire will come along with a concrete breaker attachment which will be a lot more effective and easier than a hand hydraulic breaker.

8. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

Stones onto mud suggests that under the stones there is ground that may well support grass if prepared. On the basis you don't want to pay a landscaper to come in and strip the lot and start again, the best thing is to work with what you have. Perhaps lay new (thin) paving over the solid areas, lift the cobbles for future use, bag up the stones for future use, and start by sorting out the grass area where the stones are. It's hard legwork, but it's cheap if it's your own effort. The hard area could be a mix of new paving broken up with cobbles and gravel/stone areas. Set pots on the gravel areas and that could be a nice garden area for not too much money.