Help what is it... condensation / wet rot / dry rot...?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Jase83, Aug 18, 2019.

1. Jase83

Jase83 New Member

Guys,

Could someone perhaps try and help me identify what I’m dealing with here...

I’m currently renovating sections of the house with the aim to market and sell.

I have recently been into the loft to store some items and I have noticed parts of the loft that don’t sit well with me when looking.

I’m trying to indentfy the issues are in this picture but I’m just so unsure....

WHITE ON THE RAFTERS
    I noticed this through out the loft seems very light but the wood feels very strong and in fact to which I’m told is possibly condensation as a result of poor ventilation....?

PARTIAL WET BEAM
    The beam in the picture is partial wet and I’m unsure as to why or what to do on it, a relative who lives in the property assumes the issue could have been from the best broom below with the steam etc, 4 months ago for a week or two the light section in the ceiling wasn’t ceiling due to replacing the light and they think that perhaps showers n steam during that time got to the the beam and perhaps this is the reason and that it’s just drying out but I wouldn’t be so sure that it’s 4 months on...

Upon feeling the beam this also feels strong and in tact

My concern is I’m looking to market the property shortly to sell and I just don’t know what to do about the above or what it could be as I’m either worrying it’s something huge or really nothing to worry about...

Attached Files:

2. Joe the Plumber

Joe the Plumber Screwfix Select

It looks like there may be a bit of a leak into the roof from outside. Try to have a look at the roof covering and see if you've got a slate or tile that's dropped or been broken.

Whatever that white stuff is, if you sort out the leak, it will die (if indeed it's living), so there's no need to spray toxic chemicals about to get rid of it.

3. Jase83

Jase83 New Member

Is it possible to have a leak without noticing any light coming through the loft...?

4. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Water will find its way in and run.

5. Joe the Plumber

Joe the Plumber Screwfix Select

Yes, with the sarking felt on the inside of your roof, it could be leaking in higher up, above the felt, and then running down to the damp joist.

You really need to have a look outside.

6. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

I wonder if its rather caused by condensation forming on the felt?

7. gas monkey

gas monkey Well-Known Member

could be the pitch with not enough overlap of the tile with driving rain will get in and the f1 is not waterproof just a vapour barrier have a look at the roof covering let us know