Help with fuse box fuse

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Tony Freeman, Dec 28, 2020.

1. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

Then you have the cheek to call me a bully. pmsl.

2. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Banal. You may consider this to be a forum so that you can educate the masses (snd try and look clever).,
    but
    people who come on here asking for help don’t care about the minutiae of terminology, they’ve got a problem and want it sorting.
    others who contribute - by helping the OPs - would have an easier time if the GREAT PEDANT didn’t swoop down every time we use a commonly accepted term to help out.

3. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

I can remember when the earlier version of the devices under discussion, that were push button, were referred to as something like: "new electronic fuses - to replace those fiddly bits of wire". At that time they were never called MCBs and were always installed in a fuse box.

4. candoabitofmoststuff

candoabitofmoststuff Screwfix Select

That may be so.... But insisting that the correct terms are used is virtually the definition of pedantry!

However, I'll also add that pedantry does have it's place, sometimes!

I'll get me coat!

Cando

5. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

Since it is so easy to swap the old Wilex MCB for another MCB or Fuse, it seem prudent to swap it.

However they rarely fail, so it seems more likely there is another fault.

Although it really does not matter if called a fuse, MCB, RCBO, not understanding to difference, raises the question do you have the skill.

I have made errors, called a ring final a ring for example, however since we don't have rings in domestic installations most would auto assume we are talking about a ring final.

But although other electricians may understand, it is unlikely most DIY people would understand what I am talking about.

The fuse box you have may have a special for the fuse closest to isolator allowing over 32A, but the rest are all the same, however the bases held in by one screw have different width blades and also some other changes so a large fuse or MCB can't be put in the base for small one however from memory you can do the reverse, also seem to remember fuse bases are different to MCB bases, so to swap from MCB to fuse needs the base changing. We should not today use rewireable fuses in a box in the control of an ordinary person, and cartridge fuses are expensive, so the MCB is normally best option.

However it is not as simple as just swapping base, it needs the loop impedance checking, so we have a risk assessment.

Which is greater risk, covid19 from tradesman, or error in the methods used by DIY.

6. Banallsheds

Banallsheds Well-Known Member

I
    I’m NOT banal. Please use the correct name. There is no great pedant here. It is just as easy to use the correct term as the incorrect and much more useful.

7. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Check the dictionary definition!