Help with my mum's range cooker connection please!!

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by joej, Dec 4, 2018.

  1. joej

    joej New Member

    Hi All,

    My mum has just moved house and is looking at replacing the range cooker in the new property, but has been told that she can’t have her Rangemaster installed today without having an electricity powerline that supports 32 amp connection with 240 volts via a 6 mil power line installed (clutching at straws with the description here!).

    She's sort of got her heart set on this cooker and - with Christmas dinner planned at hers this year - she's absolutely gutted.

    I was wondering, if the above makes sense, what sort of work would be required to have the cooker fitted.

    Would anyone be able to tell me off the back of the limited info above what sort of work would need to be carried out, i.e. would all the work take place behind the cooker, or would tiles generally need to be removed from the wall and the floor etc?

    Sorry to sound dumb.


  2. JP.

    JP. Screwfix Select

    What is the present set up Joe?
  3. dobbie

    dobbie Well-Known Member

    It sounds like she needs a new circuit installed from the consumer unit.

    It is impossible to actually tell what is involved in running the circuit without actually seeing the job and House construction.
    joej likes this.
  4. KIAB

    KIAB Well-Known Member

    Your looking at 10mm cable with a 45 amp breaker with a lot of range cookers, so a new circuit needed.
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
    joej likes this.
  5. chippie244

    chippie244 Well-Known Member

    From the info supplied 6mm with a 32A breaker?
  6. seneca

    seneca Screwfix Select

    Yes it's just a standard cooker circuit isn't it Chippie, 6mm t/e on a 32amp mcb.
  7. Bazza

    Bazza Well-Known Member

    Its a new circuit needed from the consumer unit. You'll need a registered electrician to do this work. Only he/she can advise on how this can be achieved and what this means re existing tiles, walls etc.

    Impossible to advise further without being on site.
    joej likes this.
  8. chippie244

    chippie244 Well-Known Member

    I'm just going off what the OP said.
  9. joej

    joej New Member

    Hi J.P.

    At the moment, there’s no isolation switch or cooker outlet in the kitchen, just a plug with a 2.5mm cable in the wall.

    It’s Rangemaster who advised they will need the 6mm cable with 32amp connection.

    Gutted for my mum!

    I’m thinking we would need to get someone to play around with the circuit board in the cupboard in the hallway of their new bungalow and wire through the living room into the kitchen, which sounds like a bit of a mission. Could this be right? If so, would anyone like to hazard a guess as to how much this might cost?

    Many thanks again,

  10. joej

    joej New Member

    I believe so, Chippie!
  11. joej

    joej New Member

    Thanks very much everyone for your replies, they’re much appreciated!

    As I replied a minute ago, the circuit unit is in a cupboard in the hallway next to the living room, which then leads into the kitchen, so I’m guessing mum is just gonna have to go for something else after Christmas if it means uprooting floorboards and stuff - totally stupid when it comes to understanding how things like this work - sorry!

    Also, I’ve no idea on a price estimate for this sort of work, but if it’s gonna set us back a couple of grand for the work to be carried out, my mum might as well get a new kitchen in order to cover up where the range cooker sits and buy a regular double oven in the wall rather than a range cooker which is there at the moment.

    Thanks again everyone, you’re all really kind to help.


  12. Bazza

    Bazza Well-Known Member

    joej likes this.
  13. spirits are real 2016

    spirits are real 2016 Active Member

    what part of the country do you live in.
  14. joej

    joej New Member

    Hey Spirits are real 2016, my mum lives in Blackfen, DA15.

  15. RolandK

    RolandK Active Member

    It might not be too bad as it's a bungalow as they could probably take the cable up and over in the roof space. Get someone in to take a look. Might even get it done for Xmas?
  16. sparko69

    sparko69 Member

    The price will be a couple of hundred quid at the most so don't panic
  17. HarDeBloodyHarHar

    HarDeBloodyHarHar Active Member

    ...and if you didn't want the decor disturbing before Christmas, I'm sure it could be temporarily stuck in trunking!

Share This Page