Help with my post and rail fence, please!

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by WKD, Sep 11, 2021.

1. WKD

WKD New Member

Hello all,

I've decided to put up a post and rail fence where a half knocked down wall has stood at the front of my property since I bought it. I have dispensed with the wall and kept all of the bricks for some unknown project at a later date.

The fence comes in two parts, since I will have a fence either side of my drive. I concreted in my first post today, next to my neighbour's pier at the end of her wall and dug the holes for the rest. The footings for the old wall were deep enough to build flats on, so took some getting through, but all done now!

I'm using 4"X4" posts and 1/2 round rails, 3 from top to bottom.

The problem I have is with alignment. The original wall had (left to right) a pier, wall, pier, gate, pier, wall, pier. So, basically two walls with a gate in between the two piers. The left hand wall was pretty much parallel with the pavement kerb, but the right hand wall had a slight angle to it, with one end nearer to the house than the other. The tarmac pavement edge ran along the foot of the wall, so, with the wall now gone, I'm using this to butt my posts up against and as a guide for my boundary.

My question is that while the rails will fit flat to the first two posts, posts 3 and 4 are off at an angle, so how do I make the rails lay flat against post 2?

Pic attached to illustrate:

fence.png

Thank you!
    Nick.

2. AnotherTopJob

AnotherTopJob Screwfix Select

Maybe cut the ends of the rails at the correct angle where they locate onto the posts?

3. WKD

WKD New Member

That's what I thought - sort of notch an angle out of the back of the rails on post 2?

4. AnotherTopJob

AnotherTopJob Screwfix Select

I think that's the only way really. Aligning the posts would probably look better but obviously you'll lose a small amount of your boundary.
    Don't forget to treat any cut ends.