Here we go round again !

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by quasar9, Oct 20, 2022.

1. quasar9

quasar9 Screwfix Select

Imagination time !:D.

Some of us could be putting up sheet rock but there would be no need for plasterers to skim them while others might cursing while be putting up with multiple voltages even in domestic setting, each with its own colour scheme. But one thing is sure, we would all be driving an 8feet wide Ford F-150, unable to pass one another in the streets !

but then again nothing could have changed, after all 40plus years in EU made no visible difference.

2. quasar9

quasar9 Screwfix Select

I half suspect there is some sort of pact between Boris and Rishi, forced on them by the Tory grandees similar to Blair Brown pact. If Rishi leads the Tories at the next election and wins it’s possible that after a year into the new term he will hand over the baton to Boris. This I suspect is the deal on the table to ensure survival of the party. I note this morning that hardcore Boris supporters are now suddenly praising Rishi.

To build up a successful manufacturing eco system takes somewhere between 20 to 40 years and requires that successive governments follow the same plan. It can only be done in two ways, a free for all system where anything goes (like USA in the 19th and 20th centuries) or a systemic plan that China has followed. Start assembling using components from wherever you can get them and gradually over the next 4 decades infill making smaller elements.

3. BiancoTheGiraffe

BiancoTheGiraffe Screwfix Select

No chance of that, the politicians obsession with net zero make it practically impossible to manufacture now.

4. dubsie

dubsie Active Member

Why would you blame Europe for the demise of manufacturing? The blame really lies with the consumer and capitalism.

You surely understand that western capitalism is built on debt and keeping production costs low while selling high.

Companies are only finally coming to realise that making everything in China has disadvantages. Largely down to COVID and security but to bring it back will take some effort because we no longer have the skills. Also there's the inflation that will result....as I said we have built growth on debt.

Leaving the single market has actually made manufacturing harder for Britain

5. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

I read today that 13% of working age people in the UK are claiming benefits of some kind or other. That's the problem right there. When we have to charter planes to go and find Romanians to pick our fruit in the summer you know we've cocked up royally by being far too generous to those on benefits.
    Of course there are numerous people on benefits that need those benefits because life dealt them a tricky hand, but there are a heck of a lot for whom work is just too much effort. Why risk the cushy number they're on by spending a couple of weeks picking fruit when it's far easier to sit at home watching the idiot box?

I'm sure I'll be labelled a neo Nazi or a privileged elite, who really doesn't understand the challenges of life, but that's fine with me. If we as a country have to rely on foreigners to do our dirty work then we're either too educated or too spoiled or both.

Teki, stevie22 and BiancoTheGiraffe like this.
  6. dubsie

dubsie Active Member

No but I think those figures you say are misleading. Many working people claim benefits because they simply don't earn enough. So while 13% sounds shocking if the perception is they are doing nothing but if in reality they are working but simply not earning enough.....that paints a whole new picture.

7. BiancoTheGiraffe

BiancoTheGiraffe Screwfix Select

So basically we're topping up big businesses...

8. dubsie

dubsie Active Member

Probably yes, but it's so much the rate of pay more the way in which many contracts work. The government has refused to regulate and as a result these are now rife.

It's the wild west out there for many people. Umbrella contracts where people are paid via a company. They basically pay there own holiday, two lots of national insurance, two lots of tax.....so they are employing themselves. Others who work in the care sector don't get paid for travel between homes. It's a real mess and many of these workers are working 12 hours a day and don't even earn enough to clear 80 pounds a day.

Tilt likes this.
  9. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

So let's vote for more nanny state?

10. dubsie

dubsie Active Member

No, but we need a fair system otherwise we end up with a nanny state because the tax payer has to step in and support families struggling.

11. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

Don't they? The carers we employ for my father-in-law get are paid a mileage allowance on top of their hourly rate - and we are charged for it seperately. From what I understand, the agency allocates a "mileage" for each client depending on whether they are town, village , remote &c and if the carer has 10 jobs that day they get all 10 mileage allowances. In general they get more than their actual on most days, but occasionally slightly less depending on their rota. It is tax free too.

12. dubsie

dubsie Active Member

Well that's fine you are probably a good company but many are not ...this is the problem isn't it. Without regulator input then there is no level playing field.