Hidden Pump

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Glad its Friday, Feb 19, 2009.

1. Glad its Friday

Glad its Friday Active Member

2. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

Looks like a drain and cut job! Handily placed socket for the splashes too!

3. soldering-on

soldering-on New Member

Its obvious you have,nt done many heating jobs, or you have no imagination.The pump has been fitted according to the manufactures recomendations.The pump is valved, all you have to do is unplug it , split it, rewire new pump, reconnect, turn on valves, plug in, switch on, thats it.I think the boiler is a potterton!

4. ripitout

ripitout New Member

:O forget the pump!!!!

4x2 in the builders opening!!!!....and ...and ... and !!!

5. tomplum

tomplum Active Member

soldering on, its obvious you never changed a pump like that, the valves will be siezed, so will the unions, ballache from start to finish, it will probly air lock too,,good luck you'll need it.

6. Bit Of Advice

Bit Of Advice New Member

Definitely an AM job.

Did u spray with some lubricant before you went to soak in overnight??

Think it is gonna be a re pipe job.

You could wrestle with it for over an hour, drain and cut out.

7. Larry123

Larry123 Member

potterton aye??????

8. sus

sus New Member

i wouldn't bother. i'd cut out the pump on the horizontal pipes pull out the pump and pipe work. Match up the distances of the pipe. assemble new pump valves and do wiring in a nice comfotable place before putting the new assy back. If you take the gubbins off the front there's a drain cock or at least a nut.

9. Omniscient Polymath

Omniscient Polymath New Member

I think the boiler is a potterton

Eh! I think you'll find it's either a Baxi 401, probably a 552 and I hope the OP is going to clasify the installation correctly.

I.e AT RISK

10. soldering-on

soldering-on New Member

The regs have moved on since these boilers were first fitted, the jobs you are doing today in 5yrs time they will be out of date, so dont be to quick to judge!You assume the valves have seized, unions the same, all you have to do is crack them with a hammer, & they will give, oh sorry they dont teach you the tricks of the trade these days do they.

11. Bit Of Advice

Bit Of Advice New Member

Doesnt always work that way does it.

Generally yes - not always though.

Sometimes you get fittings that have never been soldered but have held for years.

So when you start striking parts to loosen they reveal themselves big style.

Sometimes its easier just to repipe.

Only the guy on the job can make the decision off his judgement and experience.

12. tomplum

tomplum Active Member

from what i see, there is room for one hand in,hammer or no, you'll still need 2 pair of wrenches or grips, and the pump will spin as well, and no, i don't know any tricks of the trade, :(

13. Omniscient Polymath

Omniscient Polymath New Member

The regs have moved on since these boilers were first
    fitted, the jobs you are doing today in 5yrs time
    they will be out of date, so dont be to quick to
    judge!

What are you on about you moron, that installation is 'AT Risk' I know why, you obviously don't.

You assume the valves have seized, unions the
    same, all you have to do is crack them with a hammer,
    & they will give, oh sorry they dont teach you the
    tricks of the trade these days do they.

I think you'll find that the valves are siezed onto the pump and it is obvious from the picture that the spindles have been leaking.

Best practice is to drain down and replace both the valves/pump. Well that's what a pro would do.

Tricks of the trade, well! before the tricks of the trade, try learning the trade. As from what you've posted there seems to be a lack of knowledge and good judgment.

14. soldering-on

soldering-on New Member

Thats true, but on this thread,they never ask why was the job done that way.In the picture, nice clean job, pump wrong location, wrong boiler, wrong plug position for pump, in a perfect world it would be a perfect job.How many on this forum can own up to that.We are all trying to make a living in difficult times & give advice which is free,wheather to agree or not, but all they tend to do on here is nit-pick.

15. bronksy

bronksy New Member

I know it's not appropriate for this Particuler problem but I find heating the seized union nuts always makes them move with little effort no matter how bad. A mechanics trick

16. sus

sus New Member

Heating with a torch or bashing the nut with a hammer and cold chisel will work but will probably kill the boiler or something else. I was going for what i thought was the most intelligent solution for about £2 worth of gate valve and £2 worth of pipe why would you bother. If you want to be like that then why not strip down the pump and re build it is would be £8 for SMC bearings brush up the impeller and casing.and im sure farnell do a capacitor for it.

17. doing a bit

doing a bit New Member

well as tomorrows friday you might not be as glad then, if you can bung the F&E and remove the pump and valves and disassemble at your leisure

18. Synchron Motor

Synchron Motor New Member

I wouldn't waste your time. You can't leave it working like that anyway. Numerous installation faults visible just from this photo.
    Is it even been used with the fire connected? Check out the cap on gas isolation valve, and no sign of any brackets for fire either.
    Oh my giddy aunt!

19. billneely

billneely New Member

class it AT RISK and be done with it the opening is obviously bigger than its meant to be and also looks like a wooden front on there if im not mistaken that would be classed as combustible materials which again would be at risk turn ot off fit a new boiler

20. Synchron Motor

Synchron Motor New Member

Agreed.
    Could turn this into a copetition. How many faults can you spot with this gas installation?!