Hiding soot stains from chimney with batten/plywood/plasterboard 'new wall'?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by General, Oct 4, 2016.

1. General

General New Member

Hi all

Just looking for some advice or ideas to cover up the attached picture situation please.
    Log/coal fire my mum had didn't have flexible flue installed so soot build up in chimney only discovered after painting walls. Getting flue installed now etc but the stains will continue to come through unless I do something like the title I think?

Have sanded whole room and it kind of disappeared for now but will come back with any water based products applied I've read/heard.

Read many many ideas and definitely ain't trying the cow dung method sorry!!
    Just want to build over a new wall to hide it as it seems easier/quicker/relatively permanent solution to rectify?
    Don't like the stain block paints, not a smooth finish feels like sandpaper been wallpapered on there unless others know different?

Basically looking to lining paper the whole room then paint it. It's all internal walls backing onto chimney stack.

Was going to batten upto ceiling height and maybe across the ceiling level and floor and between battens at 300mm horizontally (not sure if horizontals necessary?) then plywood over battens for some strength if anything needs to be screwed on the wall, then plasterboard over, then lining paper it all. Does that work/seem OK? doing battens for air circulation etc?

Any advice greatly received on idea/batten sizes/amounts of/plywood depth/plasterboard type used?
    Any questions you have I will answer as best as an electrician can! :)

Many thanks all for any assistance you give

Attached Files:

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Tried Zinsser BIN Primer Sealer.

3. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Zinsser 'Cover Stain' would do the same but easier to apply as it flows out better, apply 2 coats at least.

4. General

General New Member

I've Heard about that but used the polycell stain cover before and that was so rough and just looked out of place.
    can i lining paper over zin then paint? or do you just paint over the lining paper then top coat? If I do the lining paper on the stain the paste will draw it through again so annoying doing the lining paper!

Want a nice finish to be honest

Cheers

5. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Apply 2 coats of Cover Stain over the affected area plus 100mm more over the stain edge, when dried out for 24 hours size the whole area and let dry overnight then hang a good quality 1400 grade lining paper .

6. General

General New Member

Cheers thanks I'm going to give that zin stuff a go then paper. It ok to use diamond eggshell on the lining paper after I assume? Or have to go with what zin says as oil based?

7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

The Zinsser Cover Stain is the stain block that if applied correctly will blind the stain bleed therefore preventing any further trouble. The Dulux Diamond will be fine to use as a decorative finish over the lining paper.
    1, Paint Cover Stain over damaged area
    2, Size Wall
    3, Hang lining paper.
    4, Apply Dulux Diamond.

8. General

General New Member

Thanks loads. When you say applied properly is there a technique you know is successful? What do u suggest to apply the stain block with? Roller or brush?

9. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

2 coats minimum applied by brush would be my choice as personally I believe you can get a better feel using a brush also it is not a huge area, be aware to let fully dry before applying second coat as it needs to sit on top of a fully dry coat and not merge into it.

10. General

General New Member

Would that stuff be better on the brick if I knock the plaster off then mate can plaster over it all with SBR I've heard is great?

The smell ain't good either need to carefully take that plaster off I'm sure?

Thanks

11. General

General New Member

Just in case others need help

the SBR slurry mix worked a treat.

Must remove all staining back to clean brick using wire brush or similar removal tool. Wear masks and goggles etc. Keep windows open to let the smell out as it stinks!

get a good plasterer who knows what they doing with the mix required.

Job done all good.

12. RickM21

RickM21 New Member

Hi folks,

Need some advice here...

I think I have the same problem as the chap above.

We have recently moved into a new house - there's an open fire downstairs and it seems like the clay liner has a broken section 18 ft up.

The chimney stack in the bedroom above the open fire has a slight, noticeable sooty smell even when the fire is not lit (seems stronger in some areas more than others). Soot may be bleeding through the brick / plaster but I'm not an expert.

My question for you guys is - what's a cost effective way to fix this?

Do we have to get these bricks replaced and then build back up? Or is it good enough to put the Zinsser Cover Stain coats over the plaster and then put lining paper / paint on top?

All help greatly appreciated.

13. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Coverstain for soot.

BIN for water stains and quick drying adhesion primer on inside only and coverstain for everything else including outside is the general rule

And yes. Paper over coverstain but use ready mixed paste @RickM21